·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18280582

Depends on what you want to do with it.

Could you provide more details please.

Details... well I have used the 8500GT for 2 years in my HTPC, but now that I have the on board video, I wasn't sure if I needed it.

I am watching HD content, both over the air, online, and blu-ray iso's. You name it I am doing it or will try to do it. No gaming. I want to be able to watch any HD (1080p) as smoothly and beautifully as possible with what I currently have at my disposal.

I guess the only other spec you may need to know is that I am using an AMD Athlon X2 processor... I do not remember the exact processor off the top of my head and I am not at home to look, but I think it is this one or something close to it: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteridiz /forum/post/18280709

I wasn't sure if I needed it.

I am watching HD content, both over the air, online, and blu-ray iso's. You name it I am doing it or will try to do it. No gaming. I want to be able to watch any HD (1080p) as smoothly and beautifully as possible with what I currently have at my disposal.

The 4200 should be able to handle all that without a problem.

Any preference audio wise? Any receiver in the chain? Do you care about SPDIF/HD audio?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18280805

The 4200 should be able to handle all that without a problem.

Any preference audio wise? Any receiver in the chain? Do you care about SPDIF/HD audio?

No receiver. Audio has not been my focus yet, but it soon will be... does that make a difference for the video card?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteridiz /forum/post/18280948

No receiver. Audio has not been my focus yet, but it soon will be... does that make a difference for the video card?

Yes, in the future. With your onboard 4200 you are set for now since you don't have a receiver yet.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I believe the best either one of them can do is DD/DTS. Not even positive the 4200 can do that but the 8500 can if it has a spdif header.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
The 4200 mobo (785G to be more accurate) supports DD/DTS and 2 ch uncompressed PCM via spdif connection.

It does not support TrueHD, DTS HDMA or multichannel PCM audio.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18282252

The 4200 mobo (785G to be more accurate) supports DD/DTS and 2 ch uncompressed PCM via spdif connection.

It does not support TrueHD, DTS HDMA or multichannel PCM audio.

-Suntan

So if the board has no optical or coax out but is 785g can it still get spdif audio? I ask because I have a 785 board with no spdif out. Actually no hdmi for that matter but it is supposed to work with a dvi to hdmi dongle. Not sure what the audio would be though thats why I'm asking

board is a biostar ta785ge 128m

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/18282363

So if the board has no optical or coax out but is 785g can it still get spdif audio? I ask because I have a 785 board with no spdif out. Actually no hdmi for that matter but it is supposed to work with a dvi to hdmi dongle. Not sure what the audio would be though thats why I'm asking

All of AMD's ATI chipset IGPs (HD 3200/3300/4200) can do HD video + SPDIF audio over the HDMI port.

This is good enough if you don't need any HD audio.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/18282363

I don't know anything about getting the spdif audio to work through the dvi connection, but your mobo does have an internal connection for SPDIF OUT.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-s...t.php?S_ID=432

Most likely a couple of pins directly on the mobo that you need to attach a cable/bracket to.

This is probably a good place to start searching, or else contact Biostar tech support directly and ask them where you can get one.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=biostar+spdif

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18284470

I don't know anything about getting the spdif audio to work through the dvi connection, but your mobo does have an internal connection for SPDIF OUT.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-s...t.php?S_ID=432

Most likely a couple of pins directly on the mobo that you need to attach a cable/bracket to.

This is probably a good place to start searching, or else contact Biostar tech support directly and ask them where you can get one.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=biostar+spdif

-Suntan

Cool thanks I think I actually saw it when installing. I wasn't concerned about it when I bought it because I also got a 5670. Was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of there head as I may use this board in the future on a build that doesn't require HD audio.

Thanks for the info again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts