AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a while, a long while as a matter of fact but I just had to share the milestone (or at least what I consider to be one) that transpired recently regarding my JVC RS2 projector.

The original lamp that came with the projector took about 3 years and 10 months to finally die. This, after 8647 hours running in the low power mode. You would think that a lamp lasting this long would require the high power option in order to have enough lumens to view anything with enjoyment but no. Although the lamp was indeed dimming, it was still highly viable and extremely watchable. I suspect it could have gone on several hundred more hours without needing to be retired if it hadn't finally quit. I'm including a photo to give you all an idea of what a lamp at 7000 hours might look like. Although the photo itself is grainy, this is only a testament to my poor snapshot skills when it comes to capturing video off of a projector screen. I think you'll agree though that the brightness of the image is certainly very watchable even at 7000 hours.

After an additional 1647 hours, the image hadn't changed much from what it was at 7000 hours but there came a day when alas, the projector would try to come on but to no avail. I had purchased a replacement lamp almost 3 years ago now when the original lamp reached the 2000 hour mark, anticipating that I would need to use the replacement lamp within a short time. So, 6647 hours later I finally am now able to use this replacement lamp. It's working like a charm and I've included a photo (once again not the greatest) which shows the counter of the previous original lamp at 8647 hours. I didn't of course get a photo of the original lamp just before it died but I did want to show you the lamp counter setting at the time that I took out the original lamp and put in the new one.

The only reason that I can think of for the long life of the lamp is the fact that I would rarely run it under 6 hours at a time even if I went away for a while to do other things. This was a daily habit. I would turn it on after work at around 5 p.m. and shut it down around 11 p.m. During that time I might view anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and leave it running the rest of the time. From time to time I would fire it up for a movie and turn it off (usually on a Sunday) to only then again turn it on for a second time that day for a longer session. However, normally I would run the projector on a daily basis for at least 6 hours. So the number of strikes over a 4 year period weren't that many when compared to the actual number of hours that the lamp lasted. Perhaps 1 strike for every 6 hours plus.

I know this isn't a record for lamp hours but it's got to be up there!

]

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
It's rare, but it happens. You would never get that much lamp life out of the RS-40/50/60 or RS-45/55/65 series lamps (even 003), but the new redesigned lamps for the RS-46/56/66 might be good. Though IMHO - lamp reliability is hardly a valid reason to buy JVC, but I won't quibble... Great blacks, sharpness, and great PQ at reasonable prices is a good reason.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My RS2 is a few hours shy of 2,000 hours and got a please replace lamp message 20 lamp hours ago. All hours are in low lamp mode. The lamp is still plenty bright but I have been trying to buy a RS55 as I don't wont to pay for a new lamp on an old projector with poor color gamut. Did you ever get this message? If yes, do you remember at what point you got it?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, combining great blacks, sharpness and great PQ with this many hours and there's no reason not to buy JVC again I think.

So, Tom, yes I did get the message about 6500 hours ago. LOL! That sure sounds weird doesn't it! If my memory serves me correctly it started showing up just shy of the 2000 hour mark. I had to exit out of the message every time I turned on the projector.

Thanks Craig, I'll be giving you a call for a new projector in say, oh, about 8000 hours or so...

Off to watch the Leafs beat the Bruins shortly. By the way, I forgot to mention that I use a 106" Da-Lite High Power screen. I assume that has helped me with the brightness as the lamp aged.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am almost at 4000 hours with my current bulb and I thought I was doing well... If you made it to 9999 you could have seen if the counter crashed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daniel, you ARE doing well! You've shot through the equivalent of two bulbs. I don't know about you but I have lots of space around my unit for air to flow and I try to keep the filter cleaned but I must admit that I don't do it every 100 hours as the manual suggests (if my memory serves me correctly). I have let it go for hundreds of hours but we don't smoke and there aren't any pets in the house so I think that can make a difference. Even when I pull out the filter to clean it after several hundred hours of usage, it isn't completely clogged.

I believe there was a white paper on lamp strikes and although I haven't read it, apparently the best medicine for these lamps is to just let them run without frequent strikes. Works for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts