AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone be kind enough to point me into the right direction of what tv to buy, i've read alot about the sony KD-30XS955 being THE best tv in my market.....but the problem is its listed at a huge $1200 price tag that i don't have(on sonys site) i was wondering what would be the best alternative for my budget or what retail store could get me a KD-30XS955 for $800(or sams club cause there tvs are $100-200 cheaper then bestbuy/circuit city)

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
one place I know where you can get the KD30XS955 and is an authorized Sony reseller is Crutchfield, they are selling it for 1099 shipped and with in home delivery

I know there were 50dollar off coupons from Crutchfield before Christmas when spending over 250 maybe you can use one of those to get the price down to 1050

thats not much more than you would spend on a 800 dollar TV locally once you add in taxes and delivery

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...............oh well i just wont buy a new tv, i have no income so $880 is what it is no more no less.....id never be happy with anything else id buy after seeing the #&(%!*&@^# sony in person

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankarr
J&R had it for $699 + shipping - right now they are out of stock, maybe they will get some more...
i saw that.....i looked earlier and they had them listed 847 shipped.....but resellerratings com they get alot of **** reviews and i dunno if they are trustable, what if my tv is smashed/damaged in shipping and doesnt work properly or at all, they dont seem to be on top of there **** and want to take care of it

so i was thinking about that direction when i posted.....but im skeptic

·
Registered
757 Posts
The KV-30HS420 is a great tv in your price range, Great picture quality.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2003
The KV-30HS420 is a great tv in your price range, Great picture quality.
does not stand up to the KD-30XS955 however, im a perfectionist when it comes to image quality and like i said after seeing the KD-30XS955 i couldnt settle for less

besides i want the built in digital cable tuner, so i can have HD without replacing the cable box we have now(digital with comcast) and that box + current TV goes to my mother(just because she has a POS 15inch 1990s tv)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...de=cii_5784816

anyone know if this site has any credit? shipped its over my budget but i JUST MIGHT be able to get the small sum it will cost over my budget in a couple weeks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know what ratings you're seeing. i'm looking at this on froogle. they show the JR price of $699 and 4.3/5 stars rating, and the BH price of $799 and 4.7/5. I'd be skeptical of some of these 2-bit organizations that have a lot of horrible ratings, but 4.3/5 is good enough for me.

Those are out of hundreds of submissions, and are probably a better indication than asking a few people who read this thread. I'm probably going to buy this TV myself from JR, since I can't find it locally.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehro
I don't know what ratings you're seeing. i'm looking at this on froogle. they show the JR price of $699 and 4.3/5 stars rating, and the BH price of $799 and 4.7/5. I'd be skeptical of some of these 2-bit organizations that have a lot of horrible ratings, but 4.3/5 is good enough for me.

Those are out of hundreds of submissions, and are probably a better indication than asking a few people who read this thread. I'm probably going to buy this TV myself from JR, since I can't find it locally.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1649.html

5.94/10 six month rating

3.75 rating on return or replacment.....thats and customer service toped with shipping in packaging ratings make me skeptic.....B&H much better with a 9.54/10 6month rating
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html

question though, for this sony tv does it have options to view the current resolution its displaying(like you hit a button and it displays its in 1920x1080i mode or 640x480i mode ect)does using a cablecard or w/e i need with comcast digital allow speacial things like on-demand, which is higher quality the tv decodeing digital cable or a motorola HD box?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
question though, for this sony tv does it have options to view the current resolution its displaying(like you hit a button and it displays its in 1920x1080i mode or 640x480i mode ect)does using a cablecard or w/e i need with comcast digital allow speacial things like on-demand, which is higher quality the tv decodeing digital cable or a motorola HD box?
The Sonys will display 480p or 960i for 480i sources

it display 480p sources at 480p and then displays 1080i for 720p and 1080i sources

I know the XS/XBRs will display what resolution the TV is being feed in the OSD, not the resolution it is displaying

not sure about the HS420, but would not be surprised if its OSD did the same thing

none of the HD CRTs displays 480i natively

and no you cannot change the resolution via a button except adjusting between 960i, 480p and 480p with 3-2 pulldown(for DVDs) for 480i sources

(HS420 also has these same options for 480i sources)

with cable card rental, you will get all HD and SD programming, but no PPV or ON Demand

you would need a cable box for that, and if you want HD PPV or if ON Demand has HD programming, you would need a HD cable box to view that material

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no you dont understand, like my uncles samsung plasma has a blue box that you can have come up in the top right hand corner that tells him what signal the tv is receiving like cable he gets 480i his dvd player gives him 480p and his xbox gives him 1080i(i told him to switch it to 720p because his tv is native progressive)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
that switch would be done in the xbox menus not the TV menus
wow....either your stupid or i am

the tv has a ****ing thing in the top right hand corner that you can view that tells you what resolution the ****ing signal it is recieving is

damn

·
Registered
246 Posts
i know you're pretty attached to the KD30XS955 (i was too for a while) but it is expensive, and there are other options if you dont trust those online sites. In my opinion, for something as expensive as a tv, I want to see the model I'm buying before i purchase it (at the least the look of the packaging). Also, I wanna take it home myself, because something like this can be easily damaged if not properly handled, and handling something that weighs well over 100 lbs is not always easy.

I decided against the KD30XS955 mainly becasuse of its price tag and availability, but also becasuse I'm in college and i need something thats somewhat moveable when i change where i live. I decided to get the Samsung slimfit tv (model TXR3079WH). I know this is a controversial tv b/c of some geometry issues reported, but i can't notice any on my set. The samsung may not have the build quality of the sony, and it doesnt have a cablecard slot, but it offers everything else the sony has for 400 dollars less. If the "sony" build quality (dont get me wrong this set has a great build quality - i just see sony's as the best) and cablecard is that important to you, then pony up the dough. If not, you will still get a very beautiful picture with the slimfit. Don't let the people who talk about the geometry issues turn you away from this tv, i think if thats the only thing stopping you from considering this tv, at least check one out in a store to see for yourself.

Besides that tv, as far as 30" HD crt tvs with ATSC tuners go, you can also look at the Phillips 30PW9100D, which i think is even cheaper than the samsung although i dont know what people think about this tv.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstat88
i know you're pretty attached to the KD30XS955 (i was too for a while) but it is expensive, and there are other options if you dont trust those online sites. In my opinion, for something as expensive as a tv, I want to see the model I'm buying before i purchase it (at the least the look of the packaging). Also, I wanna take it home myself, because something like this can be easily damaged if not properly handled, and handling something that weighs well over 100 lbs is not always easy.

I decided against the KD30XS955 mainly becasuse of its price tag and availability, but also becasuse I'm in college and i need something thats somewhat moveable when i change where i live. I decided to get the Samsung slimfit tv (model TXR3079WH). I know this is a controversial tv b/c of some geometry issues reported, but i can't notice any on my set. The samsung may not have the build quality of the sony, and it doesnt have a cablecard slot, but it offers everything else the sony has for 400 dollars less. If the "sony" build quality (dont get me wrong this set has a great build quality - i just see sony's as the best) and cablecard is that important to you, then pony up the dough. If not, you will still get a very beautiful picture with the slimfit. Don't let the people who talk about the geometry issues turn you away from this tv, i think if thats the only thing stopping you from considering this tv, at least check one out in a store to see for yourself.

Besides that tv, as far as 30" HD crt tvs with ATSC tuners go, you can also look at the Phillips 30PW9100D, which i think is even cheaper than the samsung although i dont know what people think about this tv.
Good choice! :)

From what i have seen in the store i was very impressed with that slimfit model.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstat88

the big deal about this tv is it offers %65 more resolution then samsungs.....i was originally going with a samsung/possibley slimfit at first but this tv was so beautiful i cant stay away

im also very sensitive to geometrey.....that drives me crazy on my current tv and my 997df samsung pc monitor.....which no matter how much i adjust the problems come back in weeks

another thing i just looked up, slimfit 30inch is only a couple inches thinner at its deepest point compared to the sony....so really all its go going for it is its light weight

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you cant stay away, sounds like you have to save up a few more months. Just wait a little longer so you can buy the KD30XS955 from a site / store you know you can trust (that's the most important thing IMO). I knew the sony had a higher resolution, but 65% higher? how?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
somthing like the samsungs only have 800lines of resolution and the sony has like 1200-1500, ill be coming up on $150 soon enough hopefully that will get me a tv from a more reliable site?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
the Sony XS/XBR line has 75% more resolution than the Samsungs

800 lines vs 1400 lines

the XS/XBR line of Sony has 65% more resolution than the HS420 series

Quote:
wow....either your stupid or i am

the tv has a ****ing thing in the top right hand corner that you can view that tells you what resolution the ****ing signal it is recieving is
it is you then cause you cannot change the displayed number in the OSD(on-screen display)

if you want to change that number, it would have to be done at the source

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
it is you then cause you cannot change the displayed number in the OSD(on-screen display)

if you want to change that number, it would have to be done at the source
ignorance is bliss, i am not talking about changing the resolution

IT SAYS WHAT THE ****ING RESOLUTION THE SOURCE IS OUTPUTTING

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.