AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for this information and can't seem to find it on the forum. My apologies if it exists somewhere. As I am a newbie...please be gentle.

I have yet to purchase a programmable remote but have narrowed it down to a the Harmony 880 or 720. I can't discern which is best for me but, I want the one that has the most recent technology and is the most expandable. I've looked at CNET's reviews but, they don't provide much either.

A few questions:
  1. I've checked CNET and they indicate the 880 was released in May of '05 and the 720 in July of '06, yet, I see posts regarding the 720 here that date to 1/05. What gives?
  2. Will both products accommodate a cable HD and/or Digital DVR?
  3. Which handles the most activities?
  4. Which would you prefer? 880? 720?

Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
1. I believe that the 720 was released after the 880.

2. Yes.

3. I think they both handle an obscene amount (255).

4. I like the form of the 880 better.

The only difference between Harmony remotes is their button layout and battery type. Functionality wise, they are exactly the same. They use the same software and upgrade in the same way. My advice would be to look at the button layout of the 880 and 720 and see which one you like better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 880 and 720 I believe carry the same functionality. The big difference would just be preference over the peanut shape of the 880 or the slim design of the 720. The button layouts may be a preference as well. The 720's button are spaced out a little better.

The subtle differences...

1 The 720 has a brighter and better resolution screen but only has 6 screen buttons compared to the 880's 8 buttons.

2. The 720 can hold 24 favorite stations compared to the 880's 16 stations.

3. The 720 sits in its cradle better than 880.

4. The 720's tilt sensor is better than the 880. It is not as sensitive to movement

5. ...can't think of anything else right now.

I have the 720 and two other friends have the 880 so I've been able to compare them quite a bit, especially since I had to program both the 880's for my friends.

I like the 720 better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.