AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi could anyone please help...

With my Gigabyte 6600GT I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my PC to my Sony Bravia KLV-32S310.

And for the audio I used a mini-stereo to RCA(L+R) cable to connect from my Soundblaster soundcard.

In the Sony's manual they say to use the HDMI2, because the HDMI2 has the L/R audio-in.

All of this worked perfect, until I got my Chaintec 8800GT.

Now for some reason I can't have video and audio at the same time.

I have video, but no audio and if I disconnect the HDMI cable I get the audio.

What is the problem?

Is it the Sony HDMI input that is broken or is it the 8800GT DVI-out?

I tried to find a option on the Sony's menu to change any kind of audio input, but found nothing.

Is it not maybe the 8800GT that puts a audio signal on the DVI-out and then the Sony detects this and disables the RCA audio-in?

I tried to find options in the Nvidia control panel that sounds relevant, but found nothing.

Please help.

PS. I have Windows Xp SP2, Nvidia drivers 175.16, Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard.

PPS. I know I can just play the audio through my 5.1 surround sound system, but would prefer to use the Sony.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps the video card is somehow sending a blank audio signal over the HDMI. Your TV is seeing this signal and disabling the RCA input in favour of the superior HDMI audio input.

Your 8800 should have a second DVI connector; did you try using that instead? No idea if it'll make a difference, but who knows?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Yes that seems like the only logical answer.

Is there any way of disabling this "phantom" audio signal.

Or maybe connect my soundcard and 8800GT card with each other internally so that it sends my audio over the DVI-out?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Or maybe connect my soundcard and 8800GT card with each other internally so that it sends my audio over the DVI-out?

this one gets my vote, there must be a way to do this.

any hardware people out there?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey /forum/post/17536409

this one gets my vote, there must be a way to do this.

any hardware people out there?

Your graphics card has an internal S/PDIF connector like:

(bare 2-pin connector; ASUS GeForce 9500 GT)

(white 2-pin connector; Zotac GeForce 9500 GT)

then you can connect S/PDIF out of your audio device to the card and you will get stereo PCM/DD/DTS audio over HDMI (or DVI, which does not matter as the TMDS signal specs are identical).

If your GeForce graphics card lacks an S/PDIF connector, you are out of luck. (Buy the latest GeForce 210, GT 220 or Radeon HD 4xxx/5xxx; all of them have a built-in HD audio controller.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts