AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
yeah for each test they were installed, not screwed down after the first though because I didnt want to keep tearing into the mounting ring
Curious if you've made any changes or figured out the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah for each test they were installed, not screwed down after the first though because I didnt want to keep tearing into the mounting ring
So we're they sealed and screwed down the first time or not at all?

Might be worth screwing a few in to seal the chamber up when evaluating sound quality.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
No I completely sealed it up on try #1 , when doing the other changes I didnt but they sounded the same. I think it might be a crossover issue, mine were wired correctly as best as I can tell but maybe the component placement changed the values enough to screw with the sound. Hopefully future kits will come with the option of printed circuit boards or at least these milled boards...I would have happily paid $20 or $25 more per speaker to make it foolproof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
No I completely sealed it up on try #1 , when doing the other changes I didnt but they sounded the same. I think it might be a crossover issue, mine were wired correctly as best as I can tell but maybe the component placement changed the values enough to screw with the sound. Hopefully future kits will come with the option of printed circuit boards or at least these milled boards...I would have happily paid $20 or $25 more per speaker to make it foolproof.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So here is a bit of an update. I received the boards today and wired everything back up, I think there might be a slight difference due to the component placement on the XO, however these speakers really do need a subwoofer. I am going to hold off judgement until I build the towers which will be ported. I was hoping for a bit more "full" sound but I want to try to listed to it with a subwoofer and see if it blends well. I will most likely try tomorrow while my daughter is at school (she was sleeping when I finally wired the speaker up so I couldnt turn on the sub)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sealed I believe they roll off at 70hz, so yes, a sub would be needed. Other than being "bass shy", how does it sound compared to the potential XO issue you previously posted about?

·
Registered
209 Posts
So here is a bit of an update. I received the boards today and wired everything back up, I think there might be a slight difference due to the component placement on the XO, however these speakers really do need a subwoofer. I am going to hold off judgement until I build the towers which will be ported. I was hoping for a bit more "full" sound but I want to try to listed to it with a subwoofer and see if it blends well. I will most likely try tomorrow while my daughter is at school (she was sleeping when I finally wired the speaker up so I couldnt turn on the sub)
You could always try the quad woofer version of the 893 if the speaker is lacking the fullness you're after.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
They were specifically designed to be used with a subwoofer. Listening to these speakers without a sub would be like listening to a large fullrange speaker without a tweeter......they will sound like something is missing. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yeah I get that, I was just trying to compare my old center speaker (Def Tech LCR) and the new speaker 893... I have a sub in my setup (Velodyne CHT120) which will eventually be upgraded, however I was just trying to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Other than being "bass shy", how does it sound compared to the potential XO issue you previously posted about? Similar hollow sound or was that corrected due to the new XO boards?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Other than being "bass shy", how does it sound compared to the potential XO issue you previously posted about? Similar hollow sound or was that corrected due to the new XO boards?
Comparing a manufactured speaker to this 893 speaker is like being def and listening to headphones :)

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ha... I was right, I need more coffee as I thought that was what you meant, but at first I was like huh? lmao :cool: Was curious if the new board corrected the issue he previously experienced.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
The DIY speakers usually require a lot more setup, especially in the subs category. The typical dome and cone speakers can drop into any living room and get decent sound.

But my impression was this was a midrange issue. I'm unsure if that's been corrected? If so then ya, focus on integrating your sub. Most of the diysoundgroup stuff is higher efficiency at the expense of bass output. Your def tech, do they have built in powered subs? I can't remember exactly but I thought that brand uses built in subs. Which would really make the bass difference apparent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
The center speaker that I am comparing it to does not have a powered sub and is similar in size to the 893. The midrange still sounds a little flat to me but that is just my opinion (my wife tends to agree though) I have not run any room correction or done anything to the speaker to try and get better sound, I literally just plugged in the def tech and then plugged in the 893 and compared the sound. I stand by my statement that the midrange speakers are the weak link in the cabinet though, the bass sounds good and the compression driver is great. I am going to go ahead and build the towers much larger and port them to see if that will make them sound better (to me) I don't want to sway anyone else on here, I think the kits are pretty impressive I am just not (at this time) as blown away as everyone else is by the sound.

As far as the statement that I think my store bought speakers sound better because they cost more...that is just not true at all. I got such a good deal on the def tech setup I actually will have MORE money in the 3 893 builds. Trust me I really want to love the speakers, and I am open to suggestions as to how to make them sound their best.

Once I get the towers built and hooked up I will really try to go through and optimize the sound.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do you have Audyssey or Dirac or some other correction capability in your receiver? If so, have you run it with the new speakers? I've read on here where other people did a direct swap and were distinctly underwhelmed, but when they reran Audyssey with the new speakers they sounded tremendously better, because it was no longer calibrated for the old speakers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Gotcha... as long as you're not using any room correction that was measured for the DefTechs when you connected the 893, then you're fine and yes, your opinion is the only one you should listen to. However keep in mind that if you had your DefTechs for an extended period of time, that you might prefer that sound signature so any initial listening tests with the 893 might be slightly biased.

As an FYI, when I performed speaker auditions in my room over the summer I performed the following. My wife helped with the tests and we tried our best to perform "blind" listening tests as well, but we're not pros:

• Placed speakers into the front of the room in a New / Old side by side configuration within the L&R locations. Center channels were swapped out completely. Speakers were approx. 8 - 10' apart. Used this config to get an understanding of the new speaker's sound compared to our B&Ws
  • Marked the floor with tape to outline where each speaker sounded best (away from wall, toe in / out, etc.)
  • Zero Room Correction / Straight Stereo
    • Slid the appropriate speaker forward into the taped outlines and swapped cables between speakers
    • Listened to music only tracks
  • Performed Dirac Room Measurements
    • Used the associated room filters and same listening methods as above
    • Listened to music and movie tracks
  • Removed original speakers for 1 week from the room and listened exclusively to the new ones
  • Returned original speakers back into the room and listened to the original speakers exclusively
I found that the biggest difference came when I took my original speakers out of the room and then returned them to their original locations. That provided the biggest impact to our decision...

Hope that helps...

61 - 80 of 155 Posts