AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
The problem is longevity.....how long will the processor last at that speed, without durability the speed increase is moot.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

The problem is longevity.....how long will the processor last at that speed, without durability the speed increase is moot.

Well, since it was probably cooled with LN2, I don't think longevity was the goal, just bragging rights as well as highlighting the potential of the Pentium 4 architecture.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I understand, but one would think that achieving a goal like that one might want to run some apps to see if there is any improvement at all.

At 8ghz the rest of the system represents a huge bottleneck.

I still dont understand how the processors dont crack under the thermal strain of that much heat and that much cooling going on at once!

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Actually folks now seem to be raving about the new 4300(??) budget C2D for an overclocker.....3.0Ghz minimum I'm reading......

What do you give up with this chip versus the more pricy ones like a 6600...?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

Actually folks now seem to be raving about the new 4300(??) budget C2D for an overclocker.....3.0Ghz minimum I'm reading......

What do you give up with this chip versus the more pricy ones like a 6600...?

Apart from it being based on the 2Mb cache Allendale core and minus Intel's Virtualization process (really only useful for servers) you don't miss out on much. If you're doing some hardcore audio sequencing or video editing -I guess, even ripping/encoding DVDs etc -the performance hit compared to the 4Mb Conroe core is around 5-10% -but at less than half the price. The E4300 also officially supports an FSB of 800Mhz whereas the E6600 supports 1066Mhz -regardless, if you get a good mobo the E4300 should be able to hit 3Ghz+. If I manage to sell my Opteron 165 rig I'm probably gonna go the E4300 route until Intel's April C2Q price cuts.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
80 core processor.

Finally, a processor that can push Crysis to 50fps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.