AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new user of the DMR-E80H recorder. I have figured out most of the basics and recorded several DVD-R's (I even finalized them without having to get help on here...lol).

My question is: Considering that my home videos are slightly longer than 2hrs on each tape in 8mm, what settings/methods would you suggest to use to make DVD-r's?

Should I copy to HDD in XP, then divide and burn 2 disks for each tape? Should I copy to HDD in SP then do a high speed dub to disk?

Is it possible to use FR mode going from 8mm tape to the HDD?

Thanks for any suggestions. These tapes are of my children's baby years, so I want to protect them for the future.

Clint

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have copied several 8mm tapes to dvd-r; some were done by editing the 2 hrs+ down to 2 hours and burning at xp; others were burned at SP and LP; have not noticed much, if any, difference in any of the speeds.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would suggest using FR at a 2+ hour setting (the length of your source material) to dub to the hard drive, then using high speed dub to copy the HD recording to a blank DVD-R. That way, you will be subjecting the recording to only a single MPEG encoding process.

I have copied several 8mm (and Hi8mm) home videos to DVD-R at SP and 2:15 FR speeds without any appreciable loss in quality over the original material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I will try to use the FR to one disk method. I was hoping to get some ideas without having to waste a bunch of disks and time testing different methods. I read another thread discussing the advantage of the high speed dub to avoid data loss due to reencoding. It seems that this type of information would've been appropriate to include in the manual to help out the new users like myself.

Anyway thanks for the responses and if anyone else has anything to add, thanks in advance.

Clint

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing to consider is that you can get a bitmore than 2 hours onto a DVD-R using high speed dub from an SP mode HDD recording. I have done a 2:10 (2 hour, 10 minute) recording to the HDD with compatibility mode turned on, then sent to DVD-R in high speed mode. In the dubbing menu it tells you the DVD-R can hold something like 4480Mb (not sure of the exact number, going from memory here) and my 2:10 SP program was indicated to be just below this number, say 4450Mb. I believe you could probably go to 2:12 to maybe 2:15 before hitting the space limit of the DVD-R.

All this means you may have the option (depending on the content of your tape) of recording your 8mm tape to the HDD in SP mode (compatibility mode ON) and then edit it down a bit (using shorten segment feature) to get the total time to say 2:10. Then do a high-speed dub to the DVD-R and you will have a very nice quality recording.

HDD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.