AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what 8VSB is? What hdtv receivers output 8VSB directly, and what type of cable is used to output 8VSB?

Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

Now as far as hardware goes, does the presence of a 15 pin output on the reciever mean that it will ouput 8vsb directly? I note that the Dish receiver has such an output. Do any directv recievers have this type of output?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
bmel-

I think you will find that no STB outputs 8VSB - only video/audio. If you want to understand what 8VSB is refer to http://www.atsc.org/.

The 15-pin connector you are referring to is the RGB connection to a HiDef TV. The HiDef TV should have at least a set of RGB (Red/Green/Blue+Horz/Vert) connectors or a matching 15-pin connector. On some STB you can output component video or RGB and most newer HiDef TV's can accept the RGB or component video signal.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
bmel,

Quote:
Originally posted by bmel:
does the presence of a 15 pin output on the reciever mean that it will ouput 8vsb directly?
No. 8VSB is the type of modulation used to get the data from the transmitter to the receiver. The data is supposed to conform to SMPTE-310 and most often referred to as the Transport Stream

Quote:
Do any directv recievers have this type of output?
None that I am aware of. Some of the professional satellite receivers and/or OTA tuners will have a connector for the SMPTE-310.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 03-27-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.