AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8x8 HDBASE T Matrix Switch Recommendations

We are wrapping up construction on a new house.

I was set on going with an Audio Authority HLX matrix switcher (using 2 CAT 6 to distribution 1080i video via component cables)

However, in the past year HDBase T seems to have picked up speed and come down in price.

So I am now thinking hard about going with a HDMI HDBase T matrix switcher for video distribution instead of the component cable based Audio Authority’s HLX. The problem I am having is there are not a lot of reviews on this forum for 8x8 HDBase T matrix switchers.

There are a lot of options, but it appears Gefen, Atlona, Shinybow, Keydigital and Wyrestorm are the more known/used brands.

Does anyone have any recommendations / tales of caution on any of the above mentioned brands – or perhaps I am missing a better brand?

For Background:

• We have 5 DTV boxes, 2 Dune players and a security camera system that we will view on one of the home’s 12 TV (there is a bar area with 5 TV’s which makes up the bulk of the TVs).

• We will never be viewing more than 8 sources so an 8x8 matrix switcher that allows us to “mirror” an additional 4 TV’s works fine (for instance the Keydigital allows “switching of 8 TV’s and mirroring of 8 TVs for a total of 16 TV’s).

• There is no CAT 6 run in the house that exceeds 250 feet so features like Gefen’s built in extender is not necessary.

• We ran 3 CAT 6 and a coax to each TV location

• The TV’s will be controlled by BOTH URC’s MX-890 remotes using the MRF-350 base stations AND via iPad based controller (using ISY 994IR PRO automation as a backbone)

• We are distributing music via a Nuvo Concerto system

• We need a matrix switcher that will backhaul RF controls from the remote to a IR flasher at each TV for on/off/volume - (we have a wall in the bar with 4 TV’s so a IR blast from the remote wont work)

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use an Atlona AT-PRO3HD44M 4x4 matrix with AT-PRO3HDREC receivers and am very pleased. No problems, works as advertised. I think they make an 8x8.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your feedback - I am a little surprised this product doesn't get a bit more attention. I have read a fair bit and it really seems like a strong choice

Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before making the decision, I'd think about features I would want (like POE, IR Routing, non-blanking switching) first. These features can turn out to be VERY IMPORTANT. Inquire about speed of switching as well.

Then inquire about return policy.

Then calculate full cost (receivers can add up) and based on return policy, I'd start with a cheap solution first to see if it works well. Remember, a lot of these "brands" are all made by the same manufacturers with the same specs. It's so bad i've even seen different "brands" manuals that are literally the same, word for word, pictures, everything, except for their logo on page 1! But the price difference between the exact same matrix switcher was as much as $4k!!

So, based on return policy, you might be able to test something out and it works perfectly and you save thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have attempted to utilize several low and mid priced matrix switch models from a half-dozen manufacturers, with consistently disappointing results. For example:

> frequent signal drop outs at far less than the spec'ed max distance

> overheating transceivers (very hot to the touch)

> hardware failures after a few months (to shortly after the warranty expirees)

I guess there could be a case in which the same design sells for $4K less, but I doubt that would be the case for the manufacturers mentioned in the first three or four posts. IMO, the more expensive units:

> are far more robust designs, as evidence by three year warranties and manufacturer return policies

> include competent tech support

> and include firmware updates which extend well after the product was introduced

A lot of discussion focuses on the cost of the matrix switch and transceivers. In my case, the matrix switch and HDMI sources are located in a centralized equipment closet which is also the structured wiring closet. This allows me to decrease the number of game consoles, Blu-ray players, roku's, etc. It allows TV cable/UVerse/FIOS to be played on any or all displays (rooms). Bi-directional IR makes all of it work seamlessly so expensive universal removes are not needed. Fewer sources means fewer firmware updates. In some rooms, there is no need for furniture to hide all of that equipment at the display. Fewer uninterruptible power supplies are needed. IP camera video can be switched to any display (room). A setup like this is extremely flexible and configurable. Anyway, my point is that some of the cost of the matrix switch and transceivers can be offset by other savings.

JMO,

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfm  /t/1524096/8x8-hdbase-t-matrix-switch-recommendations/0_60#post_24544181

Before making the decision, I'd think about features I would want (like POE, IR Routing, non-blanking switching) first. These features can turn out to be VERY IMPORTANT. Inquire about speed of switching as well.

Then inquire about return policy.

Then calculate full cost (receivers can add up) and based on return policy, I'd start with a cheap solution first to see if it works well. Remember, a lot of these "brands" are all made by the same manufacturers with the same specs. It's so bad i've even seen different "brands" manuals that are literally the same, word for word, pictures, everything, except for their logo on page 1! But the price difference between the exact same matrix switcher was as much as $4k!!

So, based on return policy, you might be able to test something out and it works perfectly and you save thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandjudy  /t/1524096/8x8-hdbase-t-matrix-switch-recommendations#post_24545950

I have attempted to utilize several low and mid priced matrix switch models from a half-dozen manufacturers, with consistently disappointing results.

interested in which brands didn't work for you...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfm  /t/1524096/8x8-hdbase-t-matrix-switch-recommendations#post_24546454

interested in which brands didn't work for you...

This would be very helpful for me as well - knowing what doesn't work can be just as helpful as what works

Thanks very much

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lewis, did you find any good price?

Im also looking for a hdbaset matrix. Im tired of my monoprice cat5 matrix.. There`s a lot of issues ...handshake and edid problems... blank switching etc

What are you options?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, - I found a "B" stock Atlona AT-PRO2HD1616M 16x16 HDMI Matrix Switch (there is still one on EBAY). It came with 16 PRO2HDREC receivers (the receivers alone would cost around $3k.) The unit came with a 3 year manufacturers warranty.

I got all of it for less than the price of a new 8x8 switcher with 8 receivers

It was more expensive than my original idea which was an Audio Authority HLX and would have been about $4k with receivers.

My thought was the Altona stuff, I am told, is "rock solid" and because it can carry 4k signal and is HDCP compliant I should be future proof for at least a little while.

I have not received it yet, so I may regret my decision, I am happy to provide updates if you are interested. My whole system gets installed in a few weeks

Below are the input sources to the switch

Dune Player 1

Dune Player 2

Dune Player 3

Dune player 4

Oppo Player output 1

DTV Genie Main

DTV Genie Client 1

DTV Genie Client 2

DTV Genie Client 3

DTV HD DVR

PS4

Security Cameras

Apple TV

Best

Lewis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds good

Can the Dune player stream IP ? If so, and you have ethernet at each Smart TV you could distribute over IP and free up some channels. Probably a moot point now that you have bought the unit

Same idea on the security cameras. I am doing IP security cameras and will distribute to Smart TVs over IP. I will post back on the forum how that goes.

It seems inevitable to me IP will be used for video distribution within a house over Cat6

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
My major problem today is the ps4 and xbox one. My guess its their dhcp that mess everything when its working throught avr receiveir.

My monoprice matrix cant handle then. I bought a cheap 4k matrix 6x2 from hdtvsuply and works perfect.

But i got an offer for snapav binary and a shinybow matrix. I still deciding which ill get.

I would like to buy a atlona 6x6 but its too expensive for me.

Lewis have you tested ps4 controller range? Its not so good... Xbox one its even worst...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not tested the range on the PS4 controller range, fortunately the theater is right next to the AV room so I only need 10 feet through a wall.

Check Ebay - they have some B stock 8x8, and if it is similar to my buy, it comes with a 3 year warranty

I got my 16x16 delivered on Saturday. The box was pretty beat up (FedEx sucks when it comes to the care of packages) but the seller had double boxed it and the unit was in very good shape cosmetically.

Once it gets installed in a few weeks I will let you know how it is working (particularly with the PS4)

Best

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLane  /t/1524096/8x8-hdbase-t-matrix-switch-recommendations#post_24620781

Sounds good

Can the Dune player stream IP ? If so, and you have ethernet at each Smart TV you could distribute over IP and free up some channels. Probably a moot point now that you have bought the unit

Same idea on the security cameras. I am doing IP security cameras and will distribute to Smart TVs over IP. I will post back on the forum how that goes.

It seems inevitable to me IP will be used for video distribution within a house over Cat6

Ron

Ron,

I don't think the Dune can stream IP

Regarding the security cameras, I wanted them hooked into the switch because the AV guy is setting up a macro with the alarm, so if/when the alarm goes off certain TV's in the house will turn on automatically and the security camera will feed video to those TV's from the zone where the alarm when off. If the Alarm is on the "Away" mode and it goes off, it will do the same thing but feed the video to our IPhones (so we needed the camera feeds both on the switch and internet).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting idea about integrating the security system and your AV. Is that via ethernet, contact closure, or something else?

I am a few weeks from installing my Altona 6x6, will report back here of course. I bought the 6x6 new from Markertek, bought the switcher and the wall plate receivers at the same time so they cut me a deal on the package (not sure the exact percent and probably should not quote it here anyway).

Ron

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just as an update - we installed the "B" stock Atlona AT-PRO2HD1616M 16x16 HDMI Matrix Switch last week and so far - so good

I was anxious given the price i paid (i.e. i paid a fraction of retail so was worried it would be DOA) but it fired up right away and is working as i think it should

The picture is great the only complaint i could have (and its very minor) is it takes about 2 seconds to switch from one source to another, agian this is not a big deal, the lag is really not much longer than switching tv channels.

Best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts