AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been do some reading hear on AVR’s- one 7.1 and 9.1 AVR manufacture stated you could bridge 2 channels> 2+2 for more power into your fronts. So ineffect creating a 5.1 system[which all i can have], eliminates a need for an extra power amp. But I haven’t found any background info on this- “like it works”, “really improves the SQ”. Anyone have sources to read?

db

I was looking at AVR's in the $1600-$2000 range.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Since all the channels are still being run off the same AVR power supply, I doubt that you will get any real benefit from it. If the power supply is not beefy enough to run all channels simultaneously at, or at least near, rated power, it won't do any better when two channels are bridged.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/18141151

..................one 7.1 and 9.1 AVR manufacture stated you could bridge 2 channels> 2+2 for more power into your fronts.

Could you provide a link, please. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
 http://hometheaterreview.com/integra...-av-receivers/

Third paragraph down—unless I am not understanding how this works- which is quite possible………….

Integra's top-of-the-line DHC-80.1 preamp/processor and top two DTR-80.1 and DTR-70.1 A/V receivers have 9.2-channel audio capabilities for the expanded soundstage reproduction of the new Audyssey DSX and Dolby ProLogic IIz processor formats. The Dolby system generates two front 'height' channels, while Audyssey's format generates either two front 'height' or 'stereo-wide' channels. Both receivers have nine powerful built-in amplifier sections, with as much as 145 Watts per channel, and the option to bridge two channels, doubling power to the main front speakers.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Well how about that. The 80.1 and 70.1 do allow bridging of the front and surround back speaker channels. From the 80.1/70.1 owner's manual:

"Bridging the Front Speakers"

"The FRONT L/R and SURR BACK/ZONE 3 L/R terminal

posts can be used with front speakers and surround

back speakers respectively, or bridged together to provide

almost double the output power for the front

speakers.

When bridging is used, surround back speakers cannot

be used.

For bridging, the positive (+) FRONT L/R and SURR

BACK/ZONE 3 L/R terminal posts are used, but the

negative (-) FRONT L/R and SURR BACK/ZONE 3

L/R terminals are not.

Once you've completed the bridging connections

shown below and turned on the AV receiver, you must

set the Speakers Type(Front) setting to BTL to

enable bridging (see page 54).

Notes:

Use only front speakers with an impedance of 8

ohms or higher for bridging. Failure to do so may

seriously damage the AV receiver.

When using bridging, make sure that your front speakers

can handle the additional power."

My original comments still hold, however, in that the actual total power available in this configuration will be constrained by the AVR power supply capabilities. How much of a benefit this configuration will provide is debateable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.