AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to you guys the past year of planning has make me comfortable enough to begin my construction. While the space is very small 10 X 13 X 7.5- I’m confident that all the help that you all have given me will return years of move watching pleasure.

This weekend I rented a Budget van and loaded all the crap out of the basement that has been accumulating. After that it was off to Manards. You know the ling well needless to say my wife and I were singing a slightly different version of it. “Spend big money at Manards.â€

While the ceiling is low enough to begging with I did not want to build my own sub floor because I was going to lay carpet right over it and did not want to have the cool feel that concrete will give you. The space was small enough that I decided to pay up for the Delta-Floor squares. They are really amazingly easy to work with and it will provide me with exactly what I need and only give up ¾ of an inch. While there we also picked up the 130 2x4s and the rest of the wood required to frame it all out. Let me tell ya- 7 boards at a time takes a LONG time to bring down into a basement. But its all done now ready to start.

This week I’m going to pull the old and rotted wood off the walls (the basement was finished before) and give it a good scraping to get off anything not solidly attached in preparation for the weekend where we are going to put on 2 coats of dry loc.

I hear good and bad about a vapor barrier. My friend has his basement just done (he actually HAS money) and they DID put one on. I really don’t know if I should or should not do it. I live in Chicago if that helps. What do you guys think? I don’t not cost anything really to put one up. So should I just do it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the Van rental was a rather sore subject for me. I had seen the signs on them forever saying “Rent this Van for 19.95â€. So I was thinking sweet 20 bucks + gas to go take all the stuff to my in-laws basement (50 miles away). Well- turns out that on the weekend its 29.95. So I’m like “Ok 29.95 + gasâ€. NO don’t forget to add the .95 PER MILE! That adds up to around 175 bucks all in and that’s why I decided to get all the building materials as well then. If you get it on the weekend (Saturday morning) you get it until the next day. I wanted to just be done with it so I brought it back around 10:00 Saturday night.

·
Registered
158 Posts
According to code in my area of MN you have to have a 4 mm poly vapor barrier against the concrete wall between it and the studs. We did that thinking that if any moisture did get through the dryloc'ed walls it would keep it off of the studs.

There are a myriad of opinions for and against it and for between the concrete and studs or between the studs and dry wall but honestly I could swear everyone is just guessing. The one thing everyone seems to agree on however is that you don't put in more than one vapor barrier (i.e. on both sides) because if any moisture does get inbetween them it will never dry out.

BTW with the dryloc make sure you get all the dimples and such covered well on the first coat by hand, then you can just use a roller for the second coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.