AVS Forum banner

381 - 389 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Glad to see you posting again. I have a question about the Diversions. I like the connector in the stand, is the stand removable?
The stand is not removable, it is glued to the enclosure. These could easily be built as a removable stand though. The best way to do it would probably be with threaded inserts inserts installed in the stand and screws installed inside the box. If that direction was taken, a Baltic birch or hardwood plate could be glued to the top of the stand to retain the threaded inserts as I would not trust the strength of MDF for this purpose. The stands are pretty heavy.

-Trevor

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Outstanding result on the crossover design! Hope they sound as good as the measurements lead me to believe!
They do sound great! They have plenty of bass and sound very balanced. There is a little bit of harshness in the upper registers of female vocalists at high volumes (>100dB) so I am going to see if I can tweak it a bit and see how it sounds. Overall they sound great though and I would be happy with them even if they didn't get any better.

Trevor

·
Registered
286 Posts
MAN the speakons at the base of the stands is GENIUS.

Reactions: trevordj

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
While I am waiting on some crossover parts I started painting The Diversions and some other stuff. I am going to see how much I can simplify the process and still get a good result.

Getting back to the project at hand I actually started making some progress with the Joudas LCR. I lugged the behemoth up to my home theater and started some measurements. I forgot how heavy this cabinet is.

There is a fairly large dip in FR at around 700Hz with the TD12M. I am confident this is not a room node as it is well within my gate and I had the woofer elevated about 4ft off the ground. This may be a cabinet issue as it is currently unstuffed but it was unexpected. For my crossover I just ignored if for now. Another oddity is, for some reason, vituixcad is exagerating this dip. In REW the unsmoothed gated response shows a 2.5dB dip, in Vituixcad it is showing a nearly 6dB dip. It must be how I am exporting the numbers? Anyway, for now I am ignoring it.

Other than that dip, with a fairly simple crossover things look pretty good. I soldered a prototype of this crossover last night and hooked it up. No measurements yet but the speaker sounds amazing with this crossover. Plenty of midbass (which I like) and it sounds awesome. I am going to have to make sure the speaker is angled up a bit to get the tweeter on axis to the listening position. Horizontal off axis performance is great but, as expected based on the tweeter dimensions, vertically there is a fairly narrow sweet spot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
The box still isn’t painted, just primed. I have 8 additional completed speakers I am working on painting (The Diversions, and 6 others that I will post about shortly) and I am going to paint these as well. I have 11 speakers that need painting in total . This still doesn’t include the 6 surrounds I need to assemble. All the parts are cut I just need to cut features and glue.

I am working on getting my business open so the surrounds will be on the back burner for now.

-Trevor

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I am confident this is not a room node as it is well within my gate and I had the woofer elevated about 4ft off the ground. This may be a cabinet issue as it is currently unstuffed but it was unexpected.
sounds like floor bounce to me, you can plug the numbers into a calculator like SBIR calculator or use the diffraction sim in vituixcad to verify

381 - 389 of 389 Posts