AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get into front projection however I am not sure if it can be setup in my enviorment. My living room is 12.5' x 18'. The screen would have to be ceiling mounted, parrellel to the long wall and about 2.5" from it. So here in lies the first problem. The screen will only be 9" from the viewer. If I use the general screen size formula, where the screen size should be half the distance of the viewer and the screen that wold leave me with 54". That is just way too small. I might as well go plasma. I know that it can be larger then half. With a screen size at 2/3 the distance that would leave me with 72". I guess that is acceptable. I understand that as I go any larger I will run into pixelation problems. One way to combat this is to get a higher resolution projector. Here I run into my second deliema. I need to use a perforated screen. From the research I have done form reading this forum is that with higher resolution I have a greater possiblitility of getting the moire effect. So my question are:

What is the biggest screen I can use with a WXGA projector?

If I use a WXGA projector with a Da Lite audio vision screen will I get the moire effect? Has anyone seen this combination?

Can anyone recommend a short throw DLP projector

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope you mean 9' and 9" !

I have a very small room (you can see it on projector central dot com) and my viewing distance is about 11 or 12''. My screen is 64" wide, and I'm happy with it even with a low resolution (svga) projector.

I agree that 54" inches wide seems pretty small. There's no way you can incrase the distance? What would be helpful is if you could borrow a friend's projector for an evening and experiment with screen sizes. (I admit that I often watch mine scaled down, since even 64" w at 11 feet can seem big).

Sorry, but I can't offer any input on your specific questions. (Never used a perfed screen, and went budget lcd).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response derrick. I meant 9'. I can't spare more then 9' since the screen has to drop in front of my Sony CRT. I cannot control ambient light in my room cause it has many windows and a sky light. So I must keep the Sony for most of the viewing. But I would like to have a projector for movies and gaming at night.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see. I agree that 54" width seems like what you're shooting for. Doesn't seem like a lot of screen for a projector...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think with most newer high-res projectors you can get by 1.5x screen width away rather than the full 2x. As such you could probably go up to a max of about 70" wide, depending on projector mounting and throw. Have you thought about other configuration options - put the screen along a short wall and move the couch when you are going to use it for example?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Loki-

54" across isn't that small if you have a 34" HDTV like me. I am in the same boat but heck I still like the large picture even though I wish I could go bigger!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to put the screen on the short wall like lespurgeon suggested. I already have a love seat facing that wall so i don't have to rearange any furniture. that would make my viewing distance about 12.5 feet and I can place the projector anywhere from 12.5-14 feet, so that would give me more flexibility in getting the right screen size. I already preordered an AE500 and ordered a 106" Dalite Cosmopolitan HCMW electric screen. I also bought all new speakers so I would not have to get a perforated screen. I got 5 Mirage Omnisats and will ceiling mount them. If I get everything on time I should have my setup completed by mid Oct. I will post pics and reviews of the projector as soon as it is done. Thanks for all your replys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.