AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Well the 9 Yr old boy broke the onkyo TX-DS787 (Front pcb w\\all control switches on it cracked) GGRRR. I had front L|R pre-outs to sperate integra 2ch. amp. Now I must use an old Onkyo receiver (TX-840) so I can at least have stereo/2ch. home theatre. Problem is , the 840 has no pre-outs for external amp , or sub (SVS ULTRA Powered by Sunfire external sub amp). Options on back of 840 are : Audio L/R imputs (rca) Phono,Cd,tape 1 Rec/Play,Tape 2 Rec/Play, Vcr1/VDP Play, Vcr2 Rec/Play. VIDEO: (rca) Vcr1/VDP-Play, Vcr2 Rec/Play, Monitor out. Speaker Terminals (binding Posts) Ch.A L/R Ch.B L/R. Can I use any of the audio terminals from the Tape 1/2 or Vcr 1/2 as a pre out? Will there still be volume controll from receiver? Can I make an Rca cable from Speaker terminals to external amp? (open end on speaker term ,RCA on Input to External amp). Any ideas on sub hook up? ext. sub amp has imputs for : LFE In/Out (RCA), IMPUT L/R (RCA), Binding Posts for L/R also (imput). Any suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED Thanks all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You are hosed. Do NOT connect a cable from the speaker output of the receiver to an external amplifier. This could definitely break the external amp, and possibly even the power amp section of the receiver. I am not sure if the tape out could work as a preamp, but it might. If so, you could use y-connecters to send this signal to the external stereo amp and the sub amp. But the signal to the sub amp will need a low pass filter in the path, and that is a little tricky.

Sorry to hear about that, I have the 787 and I like it. Luckily I have no kids. I might be selling mine (cheap) soon if I upgrade. PM me if you might want to deal.

Tim

·
Registered
622 Posts
You can use the audio out terminals to a separate amp but you won't have volume control on the Onkyo. If you have any input level control on your separate amp you'll have to use that to control volume.

Without a crossover of some type you won't be able to use your sub. First, because even if you hook it up to one of the audio outputs you won't be able to easily match it with the volume setting of the other amp. Second, with no crossover both your 2 channel speakers and your sub will play the same bass so you'll have too much bass.

For the moment just hook up your speakers as you would a normal stereo and repair or replace your surround sound unit as quickly as possible.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you have one, you could probably use the headphone output in a pinch, though don't expect audiophile sound quality. Whether it is on the main volume control or its own depends on the unit and I'm not familiar with yours.

Also, you could use the speaker outputs if you run them through a line level converter, typically used for automobiles (cheap and readily available at anyplace that sells auto stereo).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.