1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/rnb_091003.asp

Display Brighter Than Film

Technology Research News September 10, 2003

The human eye is capable of seeing the sun's entire range of brightness—nearly seven orders of magnitude, or 10 million to 1. The contrast between a bright sunny day and a moonless night, for example, is around a million to one.

The liquid crystal screens used in laptops, palmtops and cell phones, however, display only a fraction of that range: they average around 300 to 1, and top out at 800 to 1.

Researchers from York University in Canada, the University of British Columbia in Canada, and Sunnybrook Technologies, have devised a way to boost the dynamic range of liquid crystal displays to 90,000 to 1.

The technology promises to make computer screens look more realistic.

The method should improve architectural rendering, and flight and vehicle simulators, according to the researchers. It also promises to prove viewing medical imaging data, which, because of the limitations of today's computer displays, is often broken up into many pictures that show a series of brightness ranges.

Key to the improvement is using hundreds of light-emitting diodes as a backlight rather than a pair of fluorescent tubes. The set up is made from off-the-shelf parts and draws no more power than conventional screens, but is pricier.

The researchers presented the work at the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group Graphics (Siggraph) 2003 conference in San Diego, July 27 to 31.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
The problem is, there's only one single pixel.

;)

Curt

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Well I'm sure there are countless RESEARCH PROJECTS with potentially better specs than CRT. What's that got to do with what's in our homes today?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sounds like OLED. OLED is supposed to make projection itself almost obsolete. Think of a paper thin plasma screen that can be rolled up. It's supposed to be cheap to make, and can be made for very large sizes. But this stuff won't be around for several years and won't be cheap for consumers for even longer.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It is an interesting technology for LCD displays, but seeing that there seems to be agreement against the feasibility of a LED based projector it really seems unlike to be used in projectors.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
I liked the Laser-CRT the best. Only problem was utility bill.
...that, and mounting it on the moon! :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
I liked the Laser-CRT the best. Only problem was utility bill.
You are also forgetting what would happen if someone where to look into by accident!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikejz84
It is an interesting technology for LCD displays, but seeing that there seems to be agreement against the feasibility of a LED based projector it really seems unlike to be used in projectors.
I think what your talking about is that it isn't feasable for LEDs to replace bulbs in digital projectors. A lot of the DIYaudio people have been screwing around with that for a while and with little success.

OLED is more like a tiny version of the LED video screens you see at stadiums, Time Square, etc.

I'm not sure if OLEDs can be transparent like LCDs are. If they can be, I don't see why it couldn't be used in conjunction w/ a traditional bulb to make a projector.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Something active and thin film will probably be the next step after front projection technologies.

Just don't expect it to be here tomorrow. or even the day after. front projection is too easy..........and cheap.

10K:1 CR DLP's/LCD's will be commonplace in about 2 years, approximately, and some will be in the $1.5k range. It'll be a while before something can supplant that..along with the required public acceptance of the new item.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
With OLEDs who cares if it can be transparent or not?

You are not replacing your projector, you are replacing your screen.

Chris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.