AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the Cumberland Plateau in Middle Tennessee (Crossville). Some 1800 feet above sea level. I have a UHF/VHF antenna on a 40 foot tower. I recieve Nashville analog fairly good using some sort of booster. Although I never really watch it anymore. It appears to me that Im about 90 miles (as the crow flies) from the HDTV towers. Am I to far away to get HiDef out of Nashville?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If I were you I would certainly be trying to pick up the DT HDTV broadcasts from Nashville. You could stack deep fringe UHF antennas and use a preamplifier. I think there are lots of posts about this sort of thing if you do a search. I was reading some very interesting stuff about this on the internet, but I can't remember where it was. There are even web sites about DX clubs and photographs of their results. I was reading about reception of UHF signals from Cincinnatti from 130 miles away and even farther and they don't have your favorable location. I'll be interested in hearing about your results.

Larry

·
Registered
972 Posts
Can you borrow an STB for a test. I'd guess you chances at much better than 50%.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I suppose since you are at 1800ft in that area, if there are no obstructions higher between your location and the towers, and most of the ground in your area is at quite a bit "lower" elevation than 1800ft, line of sight reception is a bit of a possibility, especially if you pull in the Nashville analogs with decent quality all the time.

However, long distance reception much beyond line of sight(Which is "normally" about 50-70 miles or so) requires conditions in the atmosphere be in place which allow for refraction/reflection of signals back to the surface of the Earth at distances beyond line of sight rather than escaping into space as they normally do. In many areas of U.S.(but not all), this happens quite frequently, especially at this time of year, but it is not the "norm".

I'm North of Cincinnati here in a less than optimum location, and so far, my farthest DTV reception has been KDKA-DT Pittsburg, 241 Miles. Although more rare, distances of 1,000 Miles or more are possible. Reception of stations out 100 Miles or so is most common. Because atmospheric conditions in my area have been "good for Dx'ing" For the past 3 nights/mornings in a row, I've gotten good, Steady signals from 100-120 Miles or so ... Also, for some reason, analog WBXX 20 in Crossville, TN (240 Miles) Is very common here, In fact, I saw it with excellent PQ early this morning. "Openings" to long distance stations can last minutes, hours, or even days at a time.

There are a couple of different "modes" of signal propagation which can be seen on TV frequencies, I've found excellent info on how this works, under the "signal propagation" section at the following link:

http://www.dxfm.com

"Tropospheric scatter"(sometimes reffered to as "Ground Scatter") and "Troposperhic Ducting" Is "The mode"(both are commonly referred to as "Tropo)" to use for long distance DTV reception, although Es (E-skip, or "Sporadic E") On the Low-VHF band(Ch 2-6) is also common for Analog Reception. It is probably only a matter of time until someone gets the first DTV Es reception. Here is a link to a excellent tool which forecasts the probability of Tropo for any given area:

http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo.html

Be careful though when trying to pull in long distance stations(DX) --- although this "hobby" of Dx'ing is a lot of fun, It can also really screw up your normal sleep patterns!

·
Registered
887 Posts
What I've found to be problematic,while trying to receive DTV stations beyond the normal 50-60mi range,is not so much weak signal but co-channel interference from competing analog stations.

For example,I normally receive WHAS DT-55 in Lou Ky,and WKEF DT-51 in Dayton Oh,which both are 70+mi,but have no problem with the signal breaking up because there's no semi-local analogs to interfere.In contrast,Daytons DT-41 and 30 are constantly breaking up,caused by analog 41 in Lou,and 30 in Bloomington In.

Jeff S,

Screwed-up sleep patterns?

What sleep?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.