AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new example of a rather challenging installation.

This application involves a Family Room / Kitchen area that has a Beamed Ceiling, low hanging Ceiling Fan, and a Full Wall of "Floor to Ceiling" Windows on the left. There are Can lights directly above and to the side of the proposed Screen location.

But the biggest issue of all...a Wall that consists of roughly sized and irregularly laid Field Stone. Far from being a flat surface, it has many areas where the Stone sticks out as far as 2"-3" in a lumpy or pointed manner. ................and I'm planning to use a Store-bought HangMan French Cleat? :rolleyes:

The presence of a 18"drop pole Ceiling Fan (11' ceilings) as well as 12" x 10" Box-Wood Ceiling Beams every 4' added to the complexity of the decision making on this one.

Well we must all start somewhere.

First off, I decided to hang the Projector first to determine my maximum screen size. Screen width was constrained by the available width of the Stone wall Fireplace (approx 85"). The Owner wanted a size upgrade from the 70" Sharp he had been watching up to that point, so I was shooting for a 91"er (79" x 44") as this would allow me at least 3" of Screen Trim without having the edges of such protrude out past the edges of the Stone on each side.

But the limitations on Projector Placement, confounded by things such as required Throw Distances, Drop heights / Lens shift availability (or not), the Fan (...curse it...you don't tell people to lose a fan unless absolutelt required to do so...) and a acute sense of aesthetics in the Wife all served to drastically complicate what is my first foray into getting back in the saddle again.

So....after much head scratching, tape measuring, and product searching, I settle on using a Optoma GT1080. And for good reason. It had the ability to toss out my desired 91' diagonal image from 3.3' away, it incorporates a 7" vertical Image Offset at that size/distance, it is sufficiently bright for the job at hand, and reasonably priced.

But lemmie tell ya sumpthin'......I got insanely lucky. The first Beam across the room foremost leading edge toward the screen was.....3'-8" from the Stone Wall. :eek: It was my intention to effect a clean,"Pipe-only" Drop through the Ceiling, and essentially that meant drilling my 1-5/8" Hole directly against the leading edge of the beam. (...it should be noted at this conjecture that there was a Walk-through Attic area above the family room...)

Of course the hole needed to be exactly centered since I had no Horizontal Lens shift, and no Horizontal Keystone, and when your drilling a hole through someone's ceiling....well, you better get it right the first time around. So right from the start the nail-biting began. :eek:

Moving on to the screen itself, I chose a 4' x 8' x 6mm Sheet of Sintra for my substrate. It was cut to the size of my Frame... 83" x 48" allowing me 2" of leeway of Trimming.

Then...I had to spray the screen "off-site" hanging across my Barn Doors at my home. It was approx 72 degrees, and somewhat humid, but I used my 18" Pole fan from 6'-7' away to hasten drying to 20 minuted per Duster Coat.

I only took the two Following shots during the painting process, ones that show the 1st and 2nd Dusters and how they appear. It seems many still stress over seeing the spottiness, but they should not. Close inspection shows the spots, after drying, do not show any texture.

1st Coat (w/Enlargement)

2 nd Coat (w/Enlargement)

Jumping ahead, here is a rough shot of the screen in place. Getting the Screen to hang level and plumb took me over 4 hours! The Image is not squared yet, nor has the PJ been adjusted as far as exact positioning (...the Chief RPA-O allows for side to side / front to back adjustment...) so the mage will be both a bit larger as well as centered.

I will post a more complete set of images, as well as on that shows the rear Framing after I return from the location tomorrow. (...or later today as the case may be...seeing that it's 3:35 am ) ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey MM, you called this a Silver fire 3.0 screen. Do you mean a Silver fire v 2.5, 3.0 screen? Or did you just announce a Silver fire v 3.0?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Hey MM, you called this a Silver fire 3.0 screen. Do you mean a Silver fire v 2.5, 3.0 screen? Or did you just announce a Silver fire v 3.0?
He had to mean the first (abbreviation of v2.5, 3.0)..a formula revision would definitely include a list of whatever ingredient/amount changes happened.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :eek:

Please allow me some slack....it was 3:33 am and I was typing to get sleepy again.

First time out working for a full day since late Feb. and it had me draggin'. Still couldn't sleep much though.

I was planning on a v2.5 6.0 but I decided that the PJ really wouldn't do it justice, as well as the room's condition was less abusive than originally thought

·
Registered
601 Posts
I only took the two Following shots during the painting process, ones that show the 1st and 2nd Dusters and how they appear. It seems many still stress over seeing the spottiness, but they should not. Close inspection shows the spots, after drying, do not show any texture.

Yeap, that's what tripped me up to so much. I was to used to spraying normal latex paint and just couldn't believe that Silver Fire was supposed to spray that way :rolleyes:. But, I finally got to the seventh coat and it came out looking beautiful, just like you said it would :)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
narhic_fd,

Yeah, I seem to remember how you had fits and spasms over how much water to add. Or how little. But in the end, it's really all about following directions as they are posted, not experimenting or second guessing.

I try to convey such detailed information to individual cases whenever possible, realizing that so many simply fail to find all the representative postings there are that exist. At times I get some help from those who have "been there, done that" themselves, and that is always welcome.

I'm glad you finally nailed down an application. So....where are the screenies?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heading back over to the site in about 90 minutes with some reference BluRay DVDs

Planning to apply some 2" Black Flocking Tape, then measure/cut some Mdf Trim that is to be painted the same color as the Crown Molding / Beams.

Here's a hoot. The Wife, who was all gung ho about the project, expressed some remorse that the screen wasn't as "Black" as she expected it would be. Seems she had visited the local Best Buy Magnolia and saw a BD .9 on display and was referencing that in her memory. Might have been an issue until I got her online and she saw the price tag, and read some less-than-stellar reviews.

Then all was right with the world again. :D

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Didn't get as much accomplished as I thought I would.

Placed the 2" Flocking Tape in place. I'll say this. Most know I'm no fan of such Tape. I'm a Black Velvet kinda Guy. And the description from off Carl's website...Black Felt Tape....had me seriously doubting the choice.

....but lemmie tell ya somethin'. I found the Tape to be extremely Black, feeling nothing at all like "Felt", and honestly on a par with the Tape I have used several times from ProtoStar.

But it costs less than 1/3rd the price.

As shown, 1" of the Tape will be covered with 3.25" Painted Mdf. Trim. Let this be a good lesson for all. Always leave yourself a fudge factor. You can always cover a unused area with Trim...but you cannot grow extra needed screen size.

In the shot above I have all the daylight in the world streaming in from the left as well as 4 overhead Floods on. I'm a Glutton for punishment.

Here is a shot of the projector's position. As you can see, the drop pipe was directly against the Beam. Since placing the PJ on the other side of the beam would have meant exceeding the screen size limitations, I had to accept that there would be some slight reduction in view-able screen size (2" diagonal 91" to 89" )

No time for screen shots yet...but they are coming.....they are coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here's a hoot. The Wife, who was all gung ho about the project, expressed some remorse that the screen wasn't as "Black" as she expected it would be. Seems she had visited the local Best Buy Magnolia and saw a BD .9 on display and was referencing that in her memory. Might have been an issue until I got her online and she saw the price tag, and read some less-than-stellar reviews.

Then all was right with the world again. :D

Wait...what...you have a wife who is actually interested in your projector stuff :eek::eek::eek::eek:!!! Forget the screen...that blows my mind more then anything, LOL. Don't let her go!!!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now....

I have the Painted MDF Wood trim up, covering all but 1.25" of the 2" Black Felt Tape from Carls.

I only had a bit of extra time so I turned on Direct TV and took a few quick shots off the Discovery Channel.

Happy Feet.

Ain't no Stinkin' lack of viewing cone on this'n..........and no observable Hot Spot coming from the Short Throw PJ either !

The paint on the Trim was still a bit sticky, so some touch up is in order.

I never have been able to determine why some people like to put themselves through the misery. :rolleyes:

.........and this Guy was blowing up snow with Dynamite. :eek:

That was it for me.........:p

However I must still return once more, because the Wireless Sub Woofer Transmitter/Receiver I purchased was DOA and needs to be replaced.

I left my 3D copies of Avatar and The Hobbit TBOTFA...and a 2D of The 5th Element. I was told that Avatar wowed 'em to no end. :cool:

......so I'm good with the stupid Wireless thingee. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
What did the final size end up being and what kinda ftL did it look like it was hitting?
Was this a straight-forward SF 3, or did it get a little extra flat-white or anything else tweaked along the way?

Is there another window near the back of that room?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes...I did add some UPW due to the fact that the Owner stated it would be primarily used after dark.

I started with the basic Reflective mix that was already cut with 8 oz of UPW (3 qts total), then added 12 oz more of UPW, then 2 oz of Colorant to darken the mix back down from the very pale grey it became.

The result was a shade probably more akin to a 2.0 but with a significantly reduced metallic content. So gain is down as well. I felt that prudent considering the
final size (89" diag. 78" x 44") and close placement of the PJ (3.3 ')

Observing the 1st image of the 5 posted above pretty much shows the screen to be quite a bit lighter than my average efforts.

I have the PJ on Low lamp, with the brightness set to -2, and Gamma to 2.2 so my guess is that the screen is producing approx 32 fls vs the 59 fl it would likely shin at when on full lamp mode onto a 1.0 gain surface.

It this instance, I wanted a very clear image with adequate brightness for 3D but no chance of any graininess or sparkles. Something with better Contrast than a White, but no attenuation either.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well done, i have a friend that bought a house recently & i suggested a similar set up.. but he isn't very adventurous and plans on putting the biggest LED that will fit up above the fireplace.. :(

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done, i have a friend that bought a house recently & i suggested a similar set up.. but he isn't very adventurous and plans on putting the biggest LED that will fit up above the fireplace.. :(
Well ya'all go'n tell 'em iffin' he's a'wantn' sumptin 80 inch'rs or big'gerer, he can squirrel'way a bundle doin' it the DIY'n way.

One thing many fail to consider is how they will get both Power and HDMI up to such a location.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well now......

Gotta call around 7:30 pm last night. Seems the Lamp on the Optoma went dead in the middle of their watching a movie. Green Light still on. A recycle of "Off-On" and nothing, but strangely....the Green Light can back on as if the unit was functioning properly.

Very weird indeed.

So in any case I have a complete PJ replacement already en-route via Overnight, so before Noon tomorrow all should be right again.

This is a testimonial to buying PRIME from the big "A". Instant free replacement within 30 Days. 30 Days to return defective unit (on their ticket)

I also purchased a all inclusive 4 Year Square Trade Warranty for the PJ, so in actuality they are covered for almost anything. Fire. Flood. Lightning. It gets shot during a Home Invasion. The thing falls down onto the Floor because I forgot to tighten the screws. Oh yeah...and Lamp Failure too.
(...as long as the Lamp is completely out, not just Dim...) I'll be damned if I'll be held accountable for any Mfg's lack of quality control. No Sir!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts