AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that sometimes the field order is backwards on my 910. In some scenes (SD) looks smooth and fairly good, but the next thing I know the image looks like it's half res. It seems as if the fields are wrong. Anyone know what I mean?

I have analog into my TV, and today watching StarTrek next gen looked smooth some of the time, and other times looked just horrible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Do you notice this problem just on 480i or also on 1080i and 480p DVDs?

How is your advanced DRC video option currently set: Cinemotion, Interlaced or Progressive?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Thats indicative of a poor de-interlacer in video mode, they typically either throw away half the fields or heavily vertically filter it. The top-quality de-interlacers like Faroudja do a much better job but TVs don't include it you'd need an external scaler/de-interlacer for that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is showing on 480i sources - the pic was taken of tivo source via s-video and. It does seem to show up with the built in tuner as well.

The effect is there regardless of which DRC mode I have it set on.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
A poor source signal can cause the end resulf of the analog signal -> digital recording (Tivo) -> analog output -> digital conversion (DRC) -> analog display to be rather ... dissapointing.

I'd focus first on making sure you're getting a good signal ... then you could mess with the Tivo settins (highest recording quality) ... and then finally the DRC settings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My parents have a 32XBR450 that has an earlier form of DRC.

I saw the same kind of problem with analog cable being hooked up straight to TV (no decoder box or anything fancy).

No matter what setup of DRC (interlaced, progressive, cinemotion) I couldn't get it to perform OK all of the time.

I guess sometimes DRC is confused by video treated with a "filmlook" (i.e. deinterlaced or field merged video) or by mixed material (interlaced graphics on top of 3:2 pull down material for instance).

The signal quality has something to do with that too, but why would it be intermittent on the same channel if that was the only explanation?

For instance, the demo loop they play at Future Shop (canadian Best Buy) seems to screw up DRC on a consistent basis... I wish I knew what is wrong with their signal so I could avoid it!

Anyways, the short answer is there is no easy solution. The DRC gets confused sometimes...

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Some of these problems could lie elsewhere, but in terms of the TV...

I don't know how good Cinemotion is at handling video-based content, but it worked pretty good on film-based DVDs, so you might give that a try since it should read cadence and adjust de-interlacing/up-conversion to 480p accordingly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I'm seeing, 1212. Same program, same source, seems to just get confused and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get it correct.

When it works correctly, the analog looks great (relatively), but when it gets it wrong, bad news.

Speaking of upconversion. Maybe this should be another thread, but the tv seems to throw in fake "film look" film grain noise into the image to smooth things out. Looks like a filter. Even on video content. just an observation.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
The speckly artifacts are probably a consequence of the analog-to-digital conversion in the TV, if there is any noise in the incoming signal.

Re the ghosting.... I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but I also get ghosting on my TV, similar to what you've illustrated if I boost contrast (Picture) too high. So perhaps you might try lowering it and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.