AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys i had calibration done on my 910 and now i don't feel as happy as i did before? Now it don't seem as bright as it use to be when it was brought done to 6500. The DVD movie mode which he set is great looking but on dark scene's it's dark. One more thing on a dark screen if something movies fast i get a trail behind it is that good or bad. Maybe it's all in my head but i would like your input i still have a week left to return the set.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
maybe the calibration wasn't very good. I had mine done and had good experiences. Everything really pops now. No flaws that I can detect. I'd talk to the guy and ask for help if I was in your position.

·
Registered
109 Posts
greg f,

Who is this guy that calibrated your 910? Is he ISF tech certified? Exactly what adjustments did he do and how much was his charge for it? You got his number still? I live in the city and thinking of getting a pro do the adjustments to maximize the tvs capabilities. Thanks.

ifor

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
he did a killer job but i'm looking for someone else to do my new dvd and sat receiver and d-vhs. But only because he was in such a hurry I felt a little shortchanged, a little unimportant.

Still I'd recommend him. And if you mention my comment you could probably be sure to negotiate that.

http://www.buschhometheater.com/contact_us.htm

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
oh sorry forgot ur question. Yes he is ISF in fact he works closely with the DVE guy and has many high profile Marin clients.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iSSues
One more thing on a dark screen if something movies fast i get a trail behind it is that good or bad.
That particular problem is present on all xbr910s and xbr800s as well (and maybe more Sonys, I don't know). Not related to the calibration, though maybe it made it more evident. The image persistance you're seeing is a result of the type of phosphor coating on the screen. It bugged me for awhile, but once I learned there was nothing I could do about it, it doesn't bother me so much.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Phosphor trails (if that's what you're seeing) will probably most evident if you're trying to watch the TV in total, or near total darkness. The more ambient light you have in your viewing area the less noticeable they're likely to be.

Your lighting arrangement is as critical to being able to see the picture on your TV well as anything else. I think the basic philosophy is to try to create soft even light behind and around the TV, which would be roughly equivalent to a neutral to light grey on the TV itself. Try to avoid casting any light either directly or indirectly toward the screen itself though, because this will wash out the contrast.

Track lighting, or torchieres would probably work well for this. I use a couple lamps with tall black shades, and a black directional desk lamp (Walmart Mainstays p6282bk, can't find a picture on the net) sitting on the TV itself with a 15-25 Watt bulb to cast light on the wall behind it.

There may be a FAQ floating around somewhere which goes into even greater specifics. I think it recommended some sort of flourescent for the backlight and/or dimmers. The flickering from these tires my eyes though. So I've stayed with incandescents instead even though they're a bit warmer in color than I like. I like GE's Reveal bulbs because they're bit more neutral, but the dimmest I've been able to find them is 25-40 Watts.

I also boosted the contrast (Picture) on my TV, which may or may not be advisable depending on your circumstances. Using the Vivid modes or Contrast/Picture adjustment on the DVD player can also increase the black detail.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iforsevilla
greg f,

Who is this guy that calibrated your 910? Is he ISF tech certified? Exactly what adjustments did he do and how much was his charge for it? You got his number still? I live in the city and thinking of getting a pro do the adjustments to maximize the tvs capabilities. Thanks.

ifor
I'm not the guy that Greg is referring to, but I am an ISF calibrator located right in San Francisco. Anyone who's interested in my services, feel free to drop me a line or check out my website. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gregf,

I wonder if you have done the calibration for your new dvd, stb, vhs? What kind of dvd player did you get? I am just about to get the d1 eventhough I think I should wait for the next model to come out next year. I thought that once the grayscale/color temperature and then the color, contrast, tint, brightness, sharpness has been adjusted, its suppose to be global on all scans? Since you had the tv set calibrated why is there a need to do it again? Did you see a change in the picture after changing the dvd player? I emailed Danny Baker and he said that the grayscale adjustment is global to all scan rates-in this tv and if done right should be fairly accurate to all scans. Reason for this question is if I should have the tv adjusted to my old dvd player or to the d1 I am planning to get next week. Did you have a print out of before and after calibration from the last guy? I'll ask Danny some more questions regarding this matter. Thanks.

Ifor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.