AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the proper setting for 2x scan audio and the dvi output mode for the Sammy 931? (oh yeah, I'm hooked up to a dlp via dvi) They're in the setup options for audio and display. Also, does anyone know how to check what firmware the player has? Thanks for any info.

-Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry, never paid any attention to it on my player. I like the way it works now and afraid to mess around too much. The old, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

Some people do see a difference, just check on some of the other 931 threads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wouldn't mess with that. There is a very sophisticated answer as to what the "a" or "b" modes are...and as I recall, it's not important with DLP sets. Leave it alone.

If you have the Mode a or b option, then you have the newest firmware.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
DVD-HD931 connected to HLN-617W via DVI @ 720p --

When playing back 4:3 content, it fills the 16:9 screen, regardless of screen option selected in the DVD player setup menu. Does anyone know why this is so, and how to maintain the original 4:3 aspect ratio of the source material?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IAM4UK
DVD-HD931 connected to HLN-617W via DVI @ 720p --

When playing back 4:3 content, it fills the 16:9 screen, regardless of screen option selected in the DVD player setup menu. Does anyone know why this is so, and how to maintain the original 4:3 aspect ratio of the source material?
You can't... that's one of the 'flaws' of this player. It stretches all 4:3 content to 16:9.

-Lance

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Joe F
Just output 480 to the display and you will not have the auto-stretch. It is only active with the upconvert.
Also important to mention, although not strectched out of proper aspect ratio at 480, it is also not scaled to fill full vertical height of the screen. In other words the 4:3 picture floats in the middle of your display; black bars to the sides and ABOVE AND BELOW TOO. Pull your chair closer I guess :(

Or use component 1,

Or buy Bravo D1 (and deal with its imperfections instead).

Sooke

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sooke
Or use component 1
Maybe I'm more forgiving than others, but this is a relatively easy solution, unless all of your DLP inputs are taken. It does require the effort of adding a new set of cables, and switching between inputs, but I don't mind that.

I have not had 4:3 DVD's "float" using the component 1 input. I HAVE had older wide aspect ratio movies do this, however - Pelham 123 for instance (1974).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, if you are using your DLP in DVI mode, you can ONLY view input in Wide or PC mode...normal mode (4:3) simply isn't an option. It is NOT a flaw from the DVD player. If you want to see 4:3 output, run component cables into component 1 as suggested by Sooke and many others.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKanter
Unless I'm wrong, if you are using your DLP in DVI mode, you can ONLY view input in Wide or PC mode...normal mode (4:3) simply isn't an option. It is NOT a flaw from the DVD player. If you want to see 4:3 output, run component cables into component 1 as suggested by Sooke and many others.
You're wrong. You CAN use any orientatation your projector offers with the unscaled 480i selected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.