AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am a rookie but I have been lurking here for years. Most of the work I have had done is by a local expert who is very compotent but before I call him (with checkbook in hand) I thought the good folks here might have some suggestions or perhaps a simple solution.

Got home this afternoon and I thought I would watch the news while I cooked up an early dinner. When the 9500 came on the green tube was "cranked up".
The green washes out all of the other colors. The output of the green seems about double of the red & blue.

I do have a Lumagen but I checked the settings and nothing has changed. No matter what output I use, the same.

I checked the settings on the 9500 and they were OK. I am now going to try and reseat the boards and pray that works.

Anyone have a suggestion about the cause of this, solution?

Thanks in advance!

genest11

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
sounds like a runaway G2 setting, do you know how to check your G2 values in the service mene?

athanasios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't. Even though I have had a 8110 & 9500 I have always relied on someone to set-up and tune. But I am willing to try if it isn't to difficult for an idiot! Boy I love this CRT thing!

genest11

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
ok you will have to go into the sevice menu.

Utilities>9 then the pass code 0,9,0,1 now select color temp menu, the select 6500K.

select proceed. then hit enter till you come to the values for the green tube. report back what are.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Are there green diagonal lines visible? Possibly a failed neckboard or bad tube (cathode to heater short). Also, perhaps the wrong color temp got selected under PIC 3.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix /forum/post/16977179

Hello

Are there green diagonal lines visible? Possibly a failed neckboard or bad tube (cathode to heater short). Also, perhaps the wrong color temp got selected under PIC 3.

thanks for chiming in Tim, not much experience in seeing this problem for me.

Athanasios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/16977155

ok you will have to go into the sevice menu.

Utilities>9 then the pass code 0,9,0,1 now select color temp menu, the select 6500K.

select proceed. then hit enter till you come to the values for the green tube. report back what are.

Athanasios

Green Drive 82

Green G2 65

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

Hello

Tim,

No green lines, just agreen tinted picture. Tinted green to the extent that it washes out all the other colors.

genest11

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
those are good values must be what tim said then. I hope its not a short in the tube. A CRT rejuvenator might help if your tech has one. but you can swap out the neck cards to see if its that.

Athanasios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

Hello

What's a PIC 3?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
the pic button on the remote. then number 3.

Athanasios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/16977297

the pic button on the remote. then number 3.

Athanasios

6500 is selected. Thanks for your help nashou66 & Tim. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Guess I will get the check book out!

I still love my 9500.

genest11

·
Registered
4,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genest11 /forum/post/16977357

6500 is selected. Thanks for your help nashou66 & Tim. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Guess I will get the check book out!

I still love my 9500.

genest11

Hello

Try lowering green G2 to 55 or 60, and check red and blue, should be around 60-something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix /forum/post/16977707

Hello

Try lowering green G2 to 55 or 60, and check red and blue, should be around 60-something.

Tried lowering to 55, set red & blue to 62. Picture is still green, although flesh tones did appear to come through better. Thanks for you help Tim.

genest11

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Can you swap out on neck board to another one to see if thats it?

Athanasios

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Here's how to do this (at least, how I do it )

First off, write down all your R G and B drive and gain values.

Next, set contrast and brightness to 60 each.

Go back into the 6500 color temp adjustment, and put up the stepped gray scale, the one that has the stepped bars from all black to all white.

Set each G2 so that the all black bar is _just_ on, on the tube face while looking into the lenses. Set the gains to 35 for red, 90 for green and 50 for blue.

Exit out of the color adjust menu and see if you have a good b/w stepped gray scale. Chances are it is better than what you had.

If not, then your green CRT socket is probably bad. That's this board:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Electrohome...e_Layout7.shtm

It's under the metal cover on the back of the tube. I can test yours or I have spares. you can also swap the green to the red and vice versa (all three are identical) to see if the gain changes to the red tube.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow /forum/post/16981001

You should have bought a Sony.

At least you can laugh at yourself

Athanasios

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.