AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between an 9500 and the 9500 Ultra? And how does the 9500 Ultra compare to a G90?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The 9500LC was the replacement for the 9000LC in 1994, all use Matsushita P19LCP09 tubes excepting P22s for the optional P43 green, most were built with HD-10L lenses, all scan from 15khz to 130khz. The 9500LC Ultra was rolled out in 1998 to incorporate some additional geometry correction features such as V Skew, Top/Bottom Edge Keystone, as recommended by Joe Kane to Electrohome at that time, and anti-banding circuitry priorly used in the planetarium version. H Scan was hiked to 152khz ffor a few special steroscopic apps, most units shipped out with GT17 lenses. Green color C elements were standard in all 9" Marquees and filtered red found its way in the Madrigal MP9 version of Ultra. We can add red filtering for those requesting it. Other standard features are LC optics for enhanced contrast ratio, user-friendly menus accessed by IR remote, and onboard user help functions, and 80 setup memories with single-button access. The Marquee Ultra continues in production today having been acquired by Video Display Systems in Cape Canaveral Florida. Demand is high for flight simulation, planetariums, special stereoscopic apps requiring 120hz refresh, and demanding home theater clientele. The Marquee chassis has been adopted and rebadged by five or six HT VARs as "their CRT" offering.

http://www.etechvideo.com/images/New...Pics/Pic12.jpg

Behind the USPL lens barrel we see the curved C element lens; this thin lens actually helps contain about 22 ounces of glycol and water that acts as the lens, it is in contact with the tube face also, the black rubber bellows with some bolts and pivot pins affords continuous top/bottom and side/side focus correction, and the glycol mix also cools the tube face.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tim and Clarence

That answered some of my questions.What chages were made to the different boards ,as an example the VNB on the 9500 Ultra , is it the same as used on a 9500lc non Ultra?How about the VIM?I have some VNB boards and a VIM from an 8500 are they the same as a 9500LC Ultra? How about all the other boards?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Andrew

The CLM and DPB have higher firmware levels, the HDM and Geom/Focus are different, slight changes to Convergence and Vertical, some boards like VIM and neckboard not changed much.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
The Ultra backplane and upper motherboard are also different. They incorporate additional signal paths to carry the enhanced geometry signals to and from the various boards.

The focus board is now the focus/geometry board, and includes circuitry for geometry that

isn't found on a non-Ultra focus board. An Ultra focus board can be used in a non-Ultra

Marquee without any negative consequences as all of the extra circuitry is dedicated

exclusively to connector pins that are not used on a non-Ultra's chassis. But of course,

the extra geometry circuits would not be functional in a non-Ultra chassis.

CJ

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I have an ultra now. I used to have a non ultra, both have G17. Are there any any real difference for HT use? No. If you are careful in set up, you can avoid banding on the non ultra. One doesn't have to really worry about banding on the ultra. What about those extra geometry functions. For film or video? Please, no meaningful differences. Now if you are going to watch a tight grid, I'm NOT, then you can make a better grid with those extra adjustments. But for a single machine, watching film or video, all those extra geometrical controls don't make any real viewing difference.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Funny MArk, I tell a lot of people just about the same thing. For HT use, you can get away with a lower end set than if you're surfing the net and want to see 4 point type in the extreme corners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.