AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I goofed in where I just mounted my 9500LC. Screen 84W49H. Distance from front of tube to screen strait line= 118". Top of tube to top of screen , tube is lower by 2". I will have 1080i hi-def and DVD at ? 1080p?

Can anyone tell me if I ***# up or will I be able to properly use tube face witdh and get this focused.

Mr. bob is waiting to come over and tune this puppy, up but if I goofed then got to reschedule and relocate PJ.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cary

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
You don't say what lenses you have on the pj, but, in any event, you shouldn't have mounted the projector until you enlarged the rasters first to see "exactly" how far back the projector should be for the resolutions and refresh rates you want to run at.

As far as the 2" goes, that's not really a problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Techman,

Well I did that and had about 124" to lens, and like I said I think I goofed somehow, so I was just hopeing someone could compare what they have or has a throw calu. that they could check. As far as the len's ,HD10GT is marked on a sticker. I have not found any info on the web as to what throw these are.

Cary

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
The HD-10 is for a maximum of 87" wide picture, so you might experience edge focus problems. As for comparing throws, they would have to be running the same resolutions and refresh rates as you and have the rasters set "exactly" the same as yours. If that was common, they would have just put those sizes in the lens chart.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I must admit to being a little confused. My screen width is 87" and I've got a 16x9 format screen with a 100" diagonal but I've read elsewhere (from 3M themselves) that the HD10L is good for screens from 60" to 90" diagonal. Apparently the HD10GT17 is good for 100" thru 140" diagonal so would I be better off with the GT17s? I've always had problems with edge focus on my Marquee 9000 - is this the root cause of the problem?

Are others using a 9" Marquee with a 100" wide screen? Which lenses have you found to be best?

Andy.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyS
I must admit to being a little confused. My screen width is 87" and I've got a 16x9 format screen with a 100" diagonal but I've read elsewhere (from 3M themselves) that the HD10L is good for screens from 60" to 90" diagonal. Apparently the HD10GT17 is good for 100" thru 140" diagonal so would I be better off with the GT17s? I've always had problems with edge focus on my Marquee 9000 - is this the root cause of the problem?

Are others using a 9" Marquee with a 100" wide screen? Which lenses have you found to be best?

Andy.
Andy,

90" diagonal on a 4:3 screen would be 72" and on a 16:9 screen it would be 78", however, it is Electrohome that specified 87" wide as the limit for the HD-10L lenses. Like anything else, it just doesn't STOP working at 72, 78, or 87", it's just a tolerance that you should try to adhere to for the sharpest edges.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Cary

If you are just filling the screen width, using H Size around 92 for at least one signal source, then you are likely in the optimal spot. If H Size values are all below 80 then it is too far back. We have used HD-10Ls for up to 132" image width with no major focussing issues, those having problems might have earlier versions of that lens.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim, and All.

I will check that out, problem I have now is image is shifted to the left of screen. It could be the Extron RGB 190. I will try adj the horizonal shift of the RGB190 and see if that helps. I wish the 190 had a detent or null position.

The other thing is these lens only have HD10GT as type not L or 17 or anything else?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by caryt
Tim, and All.

I will check that out, problem I have now is image is shifted to the left of screen. It could be the Extron RGB 190. I will try adj the horizonal shift of the RGB190 and see if that helps. I wish the 190 had a detent or null position.

The other thing is these lens only have HD10GT as type not L or 17 or anything else?
Before you use the "Phase" control to shift the active picture area "within" the raster, make sure your rasters are properly centered on the tube. Also, make sure the Blue & Green rasters are perfectly centered on the tube face BEFORE you try to adjust the tube "toe-in" on the Red & Blue tubes.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Tim,

Could you give us some more info on the HD-10L lenses you talk about,

Being an earlier version?

Are you talking about a year manufactured? Lens or Projector?

I have a 9500LC with HD-10L's built in September 96

The lenses have a date of 26/7/96

I am looking to do a screen size of 96 or 108" wide with these lenses,

Am I going to have problems?

Or should I look at getting a set of GT26's or 17's?

Appreciate your comments

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
Before you use the "Phase" control to shift the active picture area "within" the raster, make sure your rasters are properly centered on the tube. Also, make sure the Blue & Green rasters are perfectly centered on the tube face BEFORE you try to adjust the tube "toe-in" on the Red & Blue tubes.
Listen to techman! He knows of what he speaks!

Efficient tube phosphor surface usage (ie: Maximizing & centering the rasters or more accurately the "active image area") is the goal here. It is the center of the universe. It's what everything else revolves around. Everything else comes after. Once you realize this, setting up the throw is quite simple:

1. Center and maximize green raster.

2. Project an image that uses the entire image area like a grid pattern.

3. Move the projector around to make the width it fit the screen.

This is where the projector should be installed.

4. Center and maximize the outside tubes. Toe them in to match green.

5. Do the rest of the setup.

Throw distance calculators are for installers that don't understand how CRT projectors work!

Kal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.