AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Cary

I have no complaints with 720p at 72 refresh with Radeon card; this is 54khz and the width does pull in a bit from 45khz to 59khz. Stay away from 59.5 khz as that is the bandswitch point and the Marquee may lock up if fed that.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I like 1440x960 at 72hz. Provides a scaling artifact-free image from HTPC and well within the capabilities of this projector.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am useing a AVS HPTC 733 p111 with XP pro,WinDVD Platinum and a 9800Pro card. With my old Ampro I tried using [email protected] but had a little tearing. I take it that this is to high for even a 9"pj? Why 720p vrs 1440x960, vrs ???

Sorry for dumb questions but if the dot size can resolve a higher multiple why don't we scale higher. I know this has been covered a million times but I am still confused.

Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Cary

There is only so much resolution baked in to a DVD; scaling it to the moon offers no visible advantage; it could look softer instead.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Tim

Will set up for 720p, do i need separate channel for anamorphic and non anamorfic dvd's. Yes Anamorphic mod's been done. I will setup 1 channel ea ?? for dvd, 1080i hydef C-band and regular C-band upconverted to 1080i 4x3

Thanks, cary

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I run 1440x720 on a 80"x45" screen.

If you're using an HTPC, you can let the computer do all of the scaling (anamorphic, letterbox, 4:3) and just use one input and memory on the projector.

As for scaling, using ffdshow helps a lot. Also, scaling artifacts are removed if you stick to multiples of the orginal DVD resolution of 720x480. So my 1440x720 is 2X the original H rez and 1.5X the V rez (sure, 2X the V rez would be better but 960 lines is pretty tight on my small screen).

Also, when you mention you had tearing, that was because of the HTPC right? (the 9500 should handle that resolution just fine).

Cary

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Originally posted by jcmccorm

I run 1440x720 on a 80"x45" screen.

If you're using an HTPC, you can let the computer do all of the scaling (anamorphic, letterbox, 4:3) and just use one input and memory on the projector.

As for scaling, using ffdshow helps a lot. Also, scaling artifacts are removed if you stick to multiples of the orginal DVD resolution of 720x480. So my 1440x720 is 2X the original H rez and 1.5X the V rez (sure, 2X the V rez would be better but 960 lines is pretty tight on my small screen).

Also, when you mention you had tearing, that was because of the HTPC right? (the 9500 should handle that resolution just fine).

The Ampro should have handled it but it didn't, probably because the HVPS was going out. I would hope that it was not the HTPC, 9800 Pro card should have been ok with that rez. :confused: I will try a couple of different rez for dvd and see what the lens can resolve :rolleyes:

Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm with Wireless on this one. I ran 1440x960 on the same size screen with a G90; the 9500LC can easily handle this if you know how to focus it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.