Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, my past (very bad) experience:

a couple of years ago, I sold my little sony VPH-D50 to enter a new league: the 9" realm.

Having seen a few 9", I knew I had to buy one of this marvels.

I spared for quite some time to be able to afford a B-stock sony VPH-G90.

I inquired a few places and finally placed an order at fusion media (SLC).

The guy named Adrian Alexander was known to be an honnest man.

He had some very good prices and some people had made very good deals.

Unfortunately that's not my case for he ripped me for $13000.

Dreams changed into nightmares.

As you might guess, I could not afford another 9"PJ for quite some time. Besides, I was really disgusted to say the least (and still). All this experience left a very bad taste in my mouth.

A few weeks ago, I finally started inquiring here about a PJ again.

First, I was intending to buy an inexpensive 9" like 1292.

Now, I'm happy to tell you that I finally bought a 9500LC ultra.

Got it from a seller here on the forum named NKOPOIAN.

Very nice person to deal with. Serious, very prompt to answer your mails.

Unit was in very good shape like described. Shipped in a BIG crate.

Everything went smoothly. Thanks Nick.

Now The 9500 has been sitting on my floor for a few weeks. No time to set it up until today.

Finally got it ceiling mounted and running.

First impressions...

I'm in heaven.

I'm amazed at how sharp the unit is. Windows @ 1920*1080 48,50,72,75Hz is VERY sharp and it was only a quick set-up. Can be better (but not bad at all for a first acquaintance with the 9500).

Watched a couple of flicks...picture is magnificent (alien!!GREAT transfer), 3-D and so film-like. Dark scenes are so beautiful.

Contrast is awesome. colors are good (not calibrated yet), better that I expected.

CRT PJs and 9" units are fantastic beasts, delivering some unique experience.

Can't wait to see HD on it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Post some screen shots when you get it setup to your liking, glad to hear you finally got something to re-establish some of your faith in humanity.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Stephane!!! Good luck with that amazing PJ, and like Paul said, post some pics!

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm flabbergasted to hear your story. I've purchased many things from Adrian -- all of them expensive -- and have never had a single problem. Even a refund was promptly issued. He's a great guy, too. Always friendly and engaging.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Stephane,

Congratulations on your new PJ.

I'm very happy to hear everything went smoothly.

I applaud your determination on still wanting to buy a great PJ overseas, after all you have been through.

I know very well how you must have felt, but I'm glad you were able to overcome it.

It's good to hear there are still good honest people around with whom you can do business. Like gn2 said it helps one re-establishe part of your faith in humanity.

Myself, I'm still trying to recover from that very bad experience I had with that Milton rip off.

I hope you enjoy many happy hours with what must be one of greatest PJ's out there.

Don't forget some pic's please. :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
See Stephane, I vouched for Nick to you and you were satisfied.

Quote:
Originally posted by PF
I'm flabbergasted to hear your story. I've purchased many things from Adrian -- all of them expensive -- and have never had a single problem. Even a refund was promptly issued. He's a great guy, too. Always friendly and engaging.
That must have been Adrian during his earlier phase. I had to intervene after a year of frustration to recover partial funds for a forum member who paid him thousands for a faroudja that he never delivered.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Stephane

Fantastic. It is so good to hear good news from you. I have owned a couple of 8500 and I love em. The only thing they were missing was the liquid coupling. Looks like you got that covered as well. Of all the PJs I have seen nothing compares to a Marquee in terms of user friendliness and set up. Glad you went straight to the best.

Nick

I don't think you could have helped a more deserving guy. Now if someone can help Pedro???

Steve

·
Registered
525 Posts
Steve,

It was my pleasure to help Stephane out, and when Pedro is ready, I'm sure that I or some of the other forum members could set him up with a nice projector too!

Nick

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thanks for the kind words...

Paul,

I will post some pictures when I'm ready.

I know most people are just honnest. I deeply believe that.

the problem is "just" to dodge the others who are here to ripp you off.

Nick,

Thanks again. hope to meet you some day.

PF,

Like I said, I know some people made good deals with Adrian Alexander. he surely is a nice guy. OTOH, I'm not the only guy he ripped off. He owes a lot of money to many people. He refunded me $5000 out of $18000.

I believe Things got out of control for him, but that's not my business.

I have my poblems too.

$13000 , that is hard to swallow.

I lost my job and this money would have been VERY helpfull.

Pedro,

Thanks my friend,

I feel for you.

BTW... determination or madness... :D

Happily I found an honnest seller. So we can now call that determination. ;)

Laurence,

Thanks, it was nice talking to you.

You were right...I'm satisfied.

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm blushing here.

Yes, this is a fantastic PJ.

I must say I was a bit confused first. sony PJs and electrohome are very different animals regarding set-up (especiallly memories). But when you get used to the marquee (that's quick), it's a VERY easy PJ.

I sincerely hope Pedro will still get a refund, but I frankly doubt that.

Milton reminds me very much of Adrian Alexander.

Guys, when the time comes, Pedro will need your help, that's sure.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Well, that's really too bad. You have my sympathies. It sounds like Adrian's business went south. Thank goodness you received at least a small refund.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PF,

Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gentleman,

Adrian Alexander is nothing more than a Thief. I ordered a Theta

Cll From him after he had left Fusion Media and was working for another company. He promptly did not deliver the Theta and I was out $7500.

After speaking extensively with the company's owners and Theta

directly, It became apparent He was stealing from clients,theta

and the company he worked for. I am sorry for your loss. Please do not refer to a slick talker as a nice guy. This subject has been extensively talked about on this forum. It was removed I suppose because the claims at the time were unsubstantiated. Make no mistake Adrian Alexander is a con artist and cannot be trusted. If you had a pleasant experience with him mark yourself as one of the fortunate ones. There is nothing laft to be said on this subject. Caveat Empteor

Jeffrey

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just out of curiosity why didnt any of you seek legal action against him? or did you to get your money back?

Chris

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
After 26 years of handling collections as an attorney, many successful revoveries, and many "empty" judgments, I've yet been able to get blood from a stone.

·
Registered
21,798 Posts
I thought it was "blood from a turnip"???

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Northeast U.S., Steve.

"You can't get blood from a stone. You can't get something from someone who doesn't have it. The proverb has been traced back to G. Torriano's 'Common Place of Italian Proverbs' (1666). First attested in the United States in the 'Letters from William Cobbett to Edward Thornton' (1800). The proverb is found in varying forms: You can't get blood out of a stone; You can't get blood from a rock; You can't squeeze blood from a stone; You can't get blood out of a turnip, etc...." From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Where I come from, it's stone, Steve.

Here's a joke fer ya. It's called:

"Blood from a stone. "

The local bar was so sure that its bartender was the strongest man around that they offered a standing $1000 bet.

The bartender would squeeze a lemon until all the juice ran into a glass, and hand the lemon to a patron. Anyone who could squeeze one more drop of juice out would win the money.

Many people had tried over time (weight-lifters, truck drivers, etc.) but nobody could do it. One day this scrawny little man came into the bar, wearing thick glasses and a polyester suit, and said in a tiny squeaky voice "I`d like to try the bet."

After the laughter had died down, the bartender said OK, grabbed a lemon, and squeezed away. Then he handed the wrinkled remains of the rind to the little man.

But the crowd`s laughter turned to total silence as the man clenched his fist around the lemon and six drops fell into the glass.

As the crowd cheered, the bartender paid the $1000, and asked the little man "What do you do for a living? Are you a lumberjack, a weight-lifter, or what?"

The man replied "No, I work for the IRS."

·
Registered
21,798 Posts
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Adrian Alexander. That's another story. Met him at CES the other year, seemed like a nice guy. But I get back from CES and someone I don't know calls me, at my law office first day back, referred by Adrian Alexander to discuss Theta CB2. Here's he's the dealer referring to me at my office? I sent the guy an e-mail and told him never ever to give out my name again, and after that I wouldn't ever consider referring anyone to him - some months later, I heard from MANY folks and several well known home theater companies that claimed they were out some big bucks to Mr. Alexander. Anyone doing business with him in the future needs to get a [email protected]@@

·
Registered
401 Posts
Would it be proper to ask what were the hours and price on the 9500lc?

I bought a used 8000 with about 7800 hours on it. It was all I could afford at the time. After a few months and lots of fun and tweaking, I'm ready to upgrade.

My problem is the tubes are pretty worn and weak.

I went over to another forum member's house and saw a Sony G70 with new tubes and a MP1 modded video card. All I can say is WOW!

Now I have a reference as to how good video can look.

On the way to my final goal of a 9500LC, I just bought an 8500LC with 3600 hours.

I hear those can be upgraded to 9" tubes.

I have read the posts from Stephanie and Pedro.

I add my congratulations Stephanie! I'm glad you still were able to get a 9500LC.

Brad

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brad,

You've got mail.

BTW,

this is Stéphane, not Stéphanie... I'm a guy. ;))

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.