AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 9501 from forward air yesterday. If your just joining this I paid 3400 for it after talking to an avs member who said he had bought one from the same guy for less and it was in near perfect shape,very slight wear on green dom, aug 1997 15k hours. The seller said dom/and condition of my unit would be identical to this as both were from the same instalation. A Ferrari for the price of a yugo. I get it home, wow is it big. I plug it in to the htpc and fire it up. acon moves around like its trying to work but gives message "cant find screen". 20 mins later i have good convergence and geomitry manually. Brightness,Focus and black level are vastly superior to my 9pg+ and everything works but there is discoloration in the lower right corner of the image :( I turn down the brightness to 0 turn contrast to 15 and peer into the blue tube, perfect ! then green, not so perfect, a fairly large dust blob(at least my best guesse) is near the center of the inner lens and the tube has the words" its test time" burned into the bottom right corner. moving to red its the same thing no lens problem but the burn is al least 5x as bad as green ! It is odd that red would be worse than green. All 3 tubes are panasonic but they cant be original, at least not the blue. So now Im confused about how to proceed. I think i have a legitimate gripe to get my money back the pj is dom nov 1995 and the seller said it would be aug 97. I have come to the realazation that even if it had been in perfect condition this projector is TOO BIG for me. I checked the blue tube with a white feild and it is fine. I would sell this 9501 locally for 3000 or trade for an XG I could never live with such a large projector. Any comments or suggestions on what i should do are appreciated(negative or otherwise:)). Thanks. Otis

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Trade for a Sony G70?

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
Hmmmm...Wow, what a bummer. You have a great gripe and I hope you can get your money back. I would love to buy a 9501 with bad tubes (I could have the tubes rebuilt in the future when I could afford it) but not for that kind of money.

I wish you the best of luck for a quick and satisfying resolution to this problem.

-B

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I tried but your mail box is full.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
madclammer,

I would say you certainly should pursue at least a partial refund for the tube condition and date of manufacture. If the seller did indeed make promises to you about about both that were not met. Did you complete this deal outside of Ebay? I think you did but cannot remember. If you did complete it through Ebay then the seller is likely to be responsive as any negative feedback tends to impact sellers of big ticket items such as projectors. Of course the size is another matter, that is the problem buying things on measurement alone, as that does not give you a real ideas of the presence of something. I own a Barco 1208 and even though I saw it first, it looked a whole lot bigger when I got it home.....

secstate

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is a real pain to ship PJs back and may cost between $100 and $250. I do not think that that is a bad price for the unit. Rebuilt tubes cost $795 each, I am sure it could use some mods to bring it up to date, so for around $6k you would have one of the best PJs around.

Can you size the image on the tube so that it does not show the its test time? My guess is that "its test time" was in red, that is why it is burnt the most.

I would ask for some money back since you were told it was the same condition as the other one, but just because they came from the same place does not mean they were used in the same way.

Have you contacted the seller yet?

I would let them know that you are not happy with the fact that the condition does not match as it was discribed and see how they react.

Let us know.

BTW...where are you located?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Madclammer-

Are you absolutely satisfied with the notion that there really was another one? Did you ever get a return PM from the owner of the other one? This thing still has a strong smell of fish. - Pat

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tubes, no he never got back to me. The seller is offering to trade this one for the next one he comes across. After talking with matrix I think the dust blob is a burnt c element on the green. Im getting more used to the size and i would like to keep it but it definately needs a green and red tube. I thought i saw a thread were someone had reds used for 500 but green is definatly going to cost. It seems my best bet at this point would be to somehow have someone inspect the next unit he comes across or go there my self and trade. thanks for all the help. otis

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Otis, this is starting to sound a bit scary. Have your gun at the ready when you remove the lens!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Otis,

I just sent you an offer from Videogon. We may be able to work out a trade...

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
It does sound like a cooked C-element. I forget what they charge, but VDC can replace the C-element if the rest of the tube is OK.

Chip S.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick, where did you send it? I didnt get. My pm is back online. I thought lc'ed pj's with c elements had colored tubes, these are all 3 grey. If this issue could be resolved i could probably live with just changing the red tube for now as the green burn is less significant.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Otis,

Have you tried to negotiate compensation with the seller?I got $250 back on the first G70 I bought because the blue tube was not in the condition advertised. Hopefully you can get much more than that. If you can get a decent refund, it's probably worth keeping and fixing. You didn't get what you thought you were buying, and you definitely should not be happy. But you're not buried in it, so you could fix it and still come out ok.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The 9500LC does indeed have c elements. The green tube has a green tinted c element. The c elements are clear on the red and blue tubes. VDC can replace c elements at a cost of $100 per tube if you supply the c element. I have a bunch of red tinted c elements that I purchased from Corning. I never had any of them installed though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its my green that has the sunburn but the tube has bad spot burn as well so I should probably just rebuild it. I have to do a full set up and see what this thing is capable of before i decide anything. Thanks for all your help. otis

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
It is not reasonable to get a 9500LC with clean tubes for $3000. I have purchased 2 for $3K each and they both needed retubing. Purchasing new tubes and tech time, one of these with new tubes ends up at about $12,000. Most of the good guy CRT resellers like Tim sell a fully checked out and updated rebuilt machine with new tubes for about $16k. For $3K all you can expect is a working machine with many hours on the tubes. With 15,000 hours some or all of the tubes with be dim, worn, and/or burnt. Rebult tubes while nowehere as good as new tubes are still acceptably good and will set you back about $2200 with shipping. So counting tech time etc, you can have a machine for about $6k. It is not advisable to replace tubes one at a time. Do all three at once. Even if only one is burnt, the other two will be so worn and dim, you cannot obtain a good picture becausethe new tube will be too strong.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.