AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most receivers tout the ability to handle 96/24, but apparently there is a new format 96/24 DTS.

So far as I can tell, only the Denon 4802 and Pioneer 47/49TX support this standard. Anyone know if other receivers support this format?

What does it mean when they advertise a receiver as 96/24 capable for future formats. What are they refering to?

·
Registered
153 Posts
There isn't any DTS 96/24 encoded software available, or even announced, so you should consider it a pretty low priority feature if you're looking for a reciever, ProLogic 2 would be a far more handy feature to have. When a reciever is described as 24/96 they usually mean that it can accept a stereo 24/96 PCM input, some of the audio DVDs (not the same as DVD-A) from Chesky have 24/96 PCM tracks. Recievers that can accept 24/96 might not be able to do any other processing on the signal (eg Prologic) and will just be able to output it as stereo.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PanamaMike
Most receivers tout the ability to handle 96/24, but apparently there is a new format 96/24 DTS.
Yes. That means being able to decode DTS signal that is 96 kHz and 24 bit in resolution (I recall the original DTS was 20 bits?).

Quote:
So far as I can tell, only the Denon 4802 and Pioneer 47/49TX support this standard.
I believe you can get an upgrade for Tag McLaren AV32R if not now then it's probably coming later on. Denon 4802 is also known as AVC-A20SE in Europe (same specs).

I don't know of any other receivers that support DTS 96/24.

Quote:
What does it mean when they advertise a receiver as 96/24 capable for future formats. What are they refering to?
Well, it depends. Some may be referring to the ability to decode 24bit 96kHz PCM audio (stereo) from some DVD video discs (Chesky has a few, I think). NOte that not all DVD players are able to output 96/24 pcm stereo in full resolution via digital outputs (I think all Pioneer models are capable though).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiler
Notably, the movie "Seven" comes with a 24/96 mix.

Definitely quite a few formats living together in sin on that disc. :)
Seven: Tech Info
Where did you find the information that it had 24/96 DTS?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 24/96 track on the Se7en disk is only on one of the extras examining the opening credit sequence and even then, the track will not be output as a 24/96 PCM stream by most players (Pioneer included) because it is marked as copy protected, and will be down-converted to 24/48. The 24/96 PCM on the Chesky disks is not marked as copy protected and is allowed to be output as a digital signal.

Incidentally, DTS24/96 is backwards compatible with older decoders. It's essentially an "old" 24/48 DTS stream with extra data attached to cover the higher frequencies (24-48kHz). There's a PDF file about the format on DTS's web site.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I can't address the copy protection issue, because I don't have a 24/96 receiver. However, according to my DVD player's front panel, selecting 24/96 from the DVD's audio menu enables 24/96 output throughout the entire film.. I'd have to break out the disc again to be sure, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.