AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me in advance if this is somewhat OT. But I'm sure that there are some forum members who are interested both in DVD and game performance, so maybe I'm not completely off base here.

I recently received a 9700 Pro as a gift (I have a high placed relative in the game industry ;-) But oddly enough, I replaced my old 8500 and ran some performance tests in Elite Force and found that my frame rate was about the same.

My first thought was that PowerStrip was enforcing the 8500 performance settings (which I had previously tweaked just a little) on my 9700. So I updated to the latest version of PowerStrip. It seems to now know about the new faster clock rate.

I also updated to the latest Catalyst drivers. I'm still seeing the same 8500 mediocre frame rate (lower than my last year's model Geforce3 Ti500).

Any ideas why my 9700, which should be a stellar game performer, is a dud?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Is the V-sync turned off? If not, you will be restricted to the frame rate of what your monitor's refresh rate is capable of displaying.

My 9700 performs admirably in games and is definitely better then my older GF2 Pro (nite and day IMO)

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
How fast is your CPU? You may be CPU limited, ie your graphics card isn't doing all that it can do because your CPU can't get it the information fast enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What resolution are you playing at? Your 9700 is going to be CPU limited no matter what current CPU you have, if you're playing at lower resolutions. The only way to stress the videocard is by turning UP the resolution, and also AA and AF in the control panel. Turn on any eyecandy in the game as well.

If it's running worse then a GF3 Ti500, or even a GF4 Ti4600, and especially if you're getting a mediocre frame rate, there's something wrong with the card, or the system. If you can't find an answer here, the people at rage3d.com might be able to help you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.