AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 98% signal stregnth on FOX, but I have a black screen and my television says "poor signal quality". What could be causing this? There is no pixilation, like there is no signal at all. But the signal meter says 98%.

I checked the analog FOX and it's working.

I checked other digital stations and they are working, some with as little as 40% signal is getting a picture.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/14248259

Signal strength is not indicative of signal quality. What kind of antenna and where is it located???

I looked in the local forum and it appears FOX is having problems.

Any time I have had over 40-45% stregnth I've gotten a good picture. So it was odd to see 98% and no picture. Now FOX is showing 0%. Something is wrong on their end. I hope they fix it before Hells Kitchens finale. I would like to watch that.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser /forum/post/14248289

I looked in the local forum and it appears FOX is having problems.

Any time I have had over 40-45% stregnth I've gotten a good picture. So it was odd to see 98% and no picture. Now FOX is showing 0%. Something is wrong on their end. I hope they fix it before Hells Kitchens finale. I would like to watch that.

Sounds to me like they're running their transmitter disproportionately hot - the SNR must be insane to get 45% signal strength and a clear picture. If your SNR is too high, many ATSC receivers won't be able to cope with the signal and you'll get garbage or nothing at all. And you only get this with the FOX affiliate? How far are you from their broadcast tower?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I've encountered maximum signal strength but no HD image/audio in a strong multipath area here (NYC's mid-Manhattan). Assumed it was my indoor set-top antenna orientation (Silver Sensor) coupled with my CRT RPTV's ancient HD tuner: a year-2000 set, so maybe a 1999 tuner circuit. Newer 5th/6th-generation tuners, external or built into displays, no doubt handle multipath reflections better, but I've dropped OTA reception and rely entirely on cable these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts