AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people are using the 9800 Pro AIW card in their HTPCs. How is the fan noise on this model? Is it louder than an 8500DV?

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I, as I think most people, don't use the fan that comes with the 9800 AIW. I use Zalman's VGA Heat pipe Cooler (model ZM80A-HP). Its passive therefore no noise.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I agree, if you can spare a PCI slot for the Zalman VGA cooler that's the way to go - you usually do not want leaf blowers in your HTPC. You might want to check on Zalman's web site as they have in the meantime different flavors apart from the -50 and ..-80 series released.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have an extra PCI slot I could give up. I have a Radeon 9200 right now that's hooked up via s-video. Would there be a big difference is PQ if I used the component outputs to my Wega 32". I also might be upgrading to a HD set in the future, so is there is difference in PQ between the 9200 and the 9800 if you use DVI?

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrentSalwasser
I do have an extra PCI slot I could give up. I have a Radeon 9200 right now that's hooked up via s-video. Would there be a big difference is PQ if I used the component outputs to my Wega 32".
Big difference? I do not think so, since neither signal path nor display are very good...

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentSalwasser
I also might be upgrading to a HD set in the future, so is there is difference in PQ between the 9200 and the 9800 if you use DVI?

Yes! You will see a huge improvement going DVI, rather than svideo. There is also a big difference between 9200 and 9800- always assuming that your display is up to it....

____

Axel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mnkynifefite
I use Zalman's VGA Heat pipe Cooler (model ZM80A-HP).
Was this heatsink hard to install? It looks like the AIW's TV tuner would interfere with it.

I like Zalmans products, so I might give it a shot. I noticed they have a ZM80C model now, so I wonder what would work best for an AIW? I'll send them an e-mail to see what they recommend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have the Zalman installed on a 9700 AIW and the tuner does NOT get in the way. I'm pretty sure it's the same tuner and general orientation on the 9800 so you should be OK.

If you do a search you should find some people who have installed it successfully.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I just discovered Newegg has 9800 Pro without fans. These cards have an adapter that is curiously very similar to the Zalman adapter.

Why anybody would want an AIW baffles me...

Cheers,

·
Registered
588 Posts
Could you post a link to that fanless Radeon 9800 Pro? I looked thru the Newegg site and every 9800 Pro listed there appears to have a fan.

The only recent card that comes without a fan that I'm aware of is the Sapphire Radeon 9600.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No link, but you want the Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro Ultimate, or some such. The Sapphire Ultimate's come with the Zalman heatsink already installed... from the pictures, it looks like a nicer job than the Zalman kit can produce.

Martin.

·
Registered
807 Posts
For those wanting to modify their exising (with fan) 9700 or 9800 this might help.

-Rob-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.