AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there are replacement fan for the ATI 9800 Pro cards? I have heard that it is noisey and wondered is there is a Zalmon type heatsink that would do the trick?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The ZM80-HP series of passive heatsinks are used by many here on the various 9x00 series of cards.

There is also an Arctic Cooling replacement heatsink that has a fan which is reputed to be much quieter.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A tech fabrication make a neat tunnel fan for radeon that pushes hot air out the back of the case. Lower internal tempertures and silent to boot. Its pricey though..

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
mrmark raises a valid point.

If you go the passive route make sure that you are comfortable with the installation instructions and can do it properly. You also need to make sure that your case has sufficient ventilation or it won't work properly.

When properly installed BOTH sides of the Zalman will get uncomfortably warm. The 9700/9800 put out on the order of 45-50W (?). Think of grabbing a 50 lightbulb and you get the idea. The Zalman doesn't get as hot because it has more surface area.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ZM80-HP series

Zalman recommends using and add-on fan on anything at or above the 9700. I consider myself a pretty good hardware person (do it for a living), but the minute I fired up my PC with the newest of the ZM80-HP series installed on the 9700, the picture on the screen corrupted. I have my old 8500 in there now, and use the damaged 9700 on this computer.

Mark

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmark
ZM80-HP series

Zalman recommends using and add-on fan on anything at or above the 9700.
Just curious, and it may help some people out, did you have the "no letter" ZM80, the "A", or the "C".

I have the "A" on an AIW 9700 and it runs fine.

For those that are thermodynamically inclined, the relevant specs are:

ZM80: 385g, 1000 sq cm

ZM80C: 325g, 1200 sq cm

ZM80A: 400g, 1300 sq cm.

SIZE DOES MATTER!

If I were doing it now I would definitely look at the Arctic Cooling one though. The added benefit of case cooling is hard to beat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
The Arctic Cooling VGA Silcencer seems like the best solution to me. It blows the heat out the back of the case, thus lowering the overall heat in the system. http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

DanW
I have this currently on my 9800NP. Runs just fine, silent, and does not get too hot at all. Much better than the stock heatsink/fan IMO. Takes up one PCI slot though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by What The!
Takes up one PCI slot though.
The Zalman also 'steals' an available PCI slot from you too.. not to mention that it also sticks out quite a bit on the opposite side from the PCI slot.

I'm an ex-Zalman user that has switched over to the VGA Silencer since Nov '03. On my 9700Pro, I had trouble running the Zalman without an active fan moving air over the heatsinks. Trying to run fanless always caused software instability on my system. I decided to switch to the VGA Silencer and it has proven to be very useful. The VGA Silencer's direct exhaust from the case has helped to lower my case temperature, and has indirectly helped my power supply become more quiet (since there's less hot air going up into the PSU).

I'm happy with the VGA Silencer, and I suppose my video card is too - the Zalman is so heavy that my video card was always bent in an unhealthy looking way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For the record, this is the Zalman product I used on my 9700:

"SilenX GPU Cooler Options: Zalman ZM80C-HP". I wish this thread was up earlier, and I might have opted for the VGA Silencer.

Fortunatly, yesterday was my B-day, and my better half gave me a 9800XT with the DDR266-I am not inclined to mess with it yet. I agree that it is heavy, and could encroach chipset coolers on some motherboards depending on how close they are to the AGP slot.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.