Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I noticed that the 985 has a monitor button. From what I see in the brochure- this is supposed to let you either view the original movie from the source, or view it the way it would look in the recording (i.e., through the MPEG encoder).

Is this true?

Did anyone figure out how to resolve the vertical shift problem on the 985? Sounds like that is the last problem that the 985 needs to resolve (or are there further problems with it)?

One last question. If someone's from Hong Kong - can you tell me how much the DVDR 985 costs down there, these days?

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. Yes, that is true

2. No, looks like a firmware issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Philips has said it will fix the vertical shift issue, and it should be a firmware fix. The monitor button shows how the recording will look.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interestingly enough, when the 985 is set to external input and turned off, the encoder is bypassed, but video is still passed through. How much of this VDR is ever really off?

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't getmy 985 to pass thru video when its turned off to my Hd monitor

thru progressive output and it only does this for me when its on.

Can anyone comfirm this??

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get conflicting answers regarding monitor mode.

Some people say that if you touch it it bypasses the MPEG encoder/decoder and shows you the original sources.

However, I keep asking people if there's any way to bypass this and they say NO. So, either people haven't heard of this mode, or I'm confused...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just checked again and the 985 will not pass s-video out to s-video

in on my Sampo monitor UNLESS the 985 is turned ON!!! It also

won't pass component out to my monitor unless its on. It will pass cvbs

which is composite (yellow) out to the composite (yellow) in on the TV

WITH THE 985 TURNED OFF. Its the only way to pass thru content and sound that i have found with the 985 turned off. Please correct me

if I am wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When the 985 powers up, it displays the DVD menu. I have to press the monitor button to see incoming video or tuner video. Cycling through the encoder speeds (HQ-SP-LP-EP) displays an increasing degraded image even when there is no disc in the recorder.

I get a pass through from the rear svid in to svid out with no encoding when my 985 is off.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dwhite601 - finally an answer I can understand...

So, you're saying that monitor switches from source material to the DVD menus and the encoder is always in use (except when the unit is off, and there is a passthrough).

The problem is that the audio doesn't pass through...

Looks like I'll have to add the cost of an Svideo splitter (around $100 to the cost of the new recorder). More to ponder upon...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just checked my audio connections. My XBox is connected to audio Ext 1/2 in and also in the rear, the svid input. My TV is connected to the svid out and the audio Ext 1/2 out. Prehaps, for power off pass through, these connections must be matched (Ext 1/2 in to Ext 1/2 out, Ext 3 in to Ext 3 out, etc).

I just checked and yes, the audio must be matched for pass through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.