AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, I've been reading these forums for the last week. Really informative place, I love it. But my eyes are bleeding and can't read no more so I need a little help.

I'm looking for a plasma in my price range, of 8xx max. Like to keep it under that, I'll be about 8 ft' from where ill be sitting. Was thinking Panasonic from all the good things said about them, perhaps a ST30?(Also I have 4 windows in my room but TV isn't facing them, duno how bad that could be)

Now alot of people have told me to go LCD for gaming, but if you have any input on that, feel free since this is mainly a gaming TV. The reason I went with plasma, was PQ/no Lag issues/Less Input Lag/No Motion Blur, and long hours of bright LCDs burn my eyes out of my sockets.

I'm still using the old school CRT Sony Triniton. So i'm pretty sure any upgrades gonna be awesome, Been a while since i've played with stunning graphics.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Difficult to answer your question. Plasma is great for playing games, even for extensive sessions. However, if you aren't going to mix up content you may get excessive image retention (or worse).

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20802992

Difficult to answer your question. Plasma is great for playing games, even for extensive sessions. However, if you aren't going to mix up content you may get excessive image retention (or worse).

Yup i agree. Plasma's are better for gaming then most LCD's, but if you are going to do nothing else on it but game i would go LCD in this one case.

Mixing up the content is key for plasma's.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's, and well maybe i exaggerated a bit much, lets say 6 hours of gaming on the regular atleast once a day, and 4 hours of movies/tv?

Also taking a walk into any store, seems to kill all my want of getting a plasma, Seems like any ****** LCD looks ****ing amazing next to a plasma with those florescent lights over head, is that really a fair comparison?

Thats giving me a really hard time picking out a plasma without coming to this forum and asking opinions.

So any suggestion on a model in my price range?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokurnal /forum/post/20803703

Thanks for the reply's, and well maybe i exaggerated a bit much, lets say 6 hours of gaming on the regular atleast once a day, and 4 hours of movies/tv?

Also taking a walk into any store, seems to kill all my want of getting a plasma, Seems like any ****** LCD looks ****ing amazing next to a plasma with those florescent lights over head, is that really a fair comparison?

Thats giving me a really hard time picking out a plasma without coming to this forum and asking opinions.

So any suggestion on a model in my price range?

If you have store lighting where you live, get an LCD. If you don't, plasma will generally look better in the home. OTOH, if all you're going to be doing is gaming, you may want to opt for an LCD especially if a lot of those games have static HUDs and status bars.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I dont know if Pioneer used any special methods to reduce IR or Burn in vs. current brands but Ive been gaming heavily on a 8G Kuro 5080HD for 3.5 years and have never seen any IR even after hours of COD Black Ops & Halo Reach.

IMO Plasma's motion clarity alone is worth it over LCD especially for gaming.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar /forum/post/20803840

I dont know if Pioneer used any special methods to reduce IR or Burn in vs. current brands but Ive been gaming heavily on a 8G Kuro 5080HD for 3.5 years and have never seen any IR even after hours of COD Black Ops & Halo Reach.

IMO Plasma's motion clarity alone is worth it over LCD especially for gaming.

I also play games on my KRP, sometimes for a fair number of hours for a few weeks at a time when I'm in "gaming" mode. I've never gotten any IR, but the rest of the time the set is primarily used for movies so it gets a fair number of hours to counter-balance. I have it ISF/power-save/orbiter2 all the time. I know a number of people abuse their sets to all hell and have no trouble (gaming heavily as the primary use), but there are people who have sets that develop issues over time. Those sets should probably be considered defective in my book (since it seems like a number of people are able to abuse their sets), but if you get one of them manufacturer's won't cover it.

So my recommendation to the OP is if you go plasma, run break-in slides for the first 150-200 hours nonstop and then game as heavily as possible on it to see how it handles. If it starts getting any hint of IR return and either exchange for another to see if you get a better one or else just go LCD at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, and no I don't have any florescent in my room, just 4 windows, none of them give direct light to the TV though. Just found it strange they place them like that in the store. I see why it would turn people off from giving plasmas a fair shot, but I think im gonna give it one. Oh man I can't wait to play Skyrim on one =)

So ill def run a break-in disk for the first 100 hours before gaming.

Think im gonna go with the Panasonic 42' ST30(Unless any other suggestions)

Would it be smart to buy it from amazon and have it shipped(almost 150 cheaper) or best buy?(blah tax)

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are unsure, just buy from a store with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. That way if you get it home and after a few weeks dont like it, you can exchange it for LCD.

Mike

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I personally would only buy from a retail store. I like the idea of being able to return the set instantly if it breaks, or within the 30 day exchange period if it breaks.

Of course, thats just me, and unfortunately I have to eat the tax for that luxury.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Amazon is a great retailer. 30 day return policy, and they deliver directly to your home, and pick up a return directly from your home...all for free! I returned a 65ST30 for a replacement a couple weeks ago and things could not have been easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my 50ST30 yesterday and already started PC gaming on it and have been impressed even coming from my HP zr30W (2560X1600). Although not as sharp even from 8-10feet away, no imput lag at all when playing BFBC2 at over 70fps and color gamut seems excellent. However gaming on a TV will take getting use to especially being that far away. Haven't had the TV long but I can tell you that already I am very impressed with plasma even without calibration
Just amazing man

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraz /forum/post/20808250

I just got my 50ST30 yesterday and already started PC gaming on it and have been impressed even coming from my HP zr30W (2560X1600). Although not as sharp even from 8-10feet away, no imput lag at all when playing BFBC2 at over 70fps and color gamut seems excellent. However gaming on a TV will take getting use to especially being that far away. Haven't had the TV long but I can tell you that already I am very impressed with plasma even without calibration
Just amazing man

Sit closer?

·
Registered
12,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20809659

Better off going LCD! No need to ruin a perfectly good tv!

^^^^^^^an educated opinion lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20809659

Better off going LCD! No need to ruin a perfectly good tv!

The Samsung LED LCD troll has crawled out from under the bridge once again. Getting an LCD for gaming is a valid choice if it's what someone wants, but OP this guy thinks he knows more than the calibrators and reviewers. Not a winning combination for any "advice" he might give you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just beware that you can still get some nasty image retention on a plasma, it seems the 2011 Panasonics are more susceptible to this problem.

Do a search on image retention and you'll see there have been a number of reported cases on the ST30. Mine included.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts