Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have just received a 9pg+. When I put on a cross-hair pattern the horizontal lines are about twice as thick and unfocused as the vertical lines. This is present on all three tubes.

It is not a setup issue as far as I can tell because it only affects the horizontal, not vertical.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Richard

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like your astig adjustment is out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Would astig only affect the horizontal lines and not impact vertical? Is the astig adjustment on the NEC that selective? I have not yet adjusted astig on this projector but I have on others. The dot pattern does not show an oblong dot with the flare off-center. The dot pattern looks like nice

symmetrical rectangles instead of square dots.

Update:

I just connected a pc to the projector and it turns out that external sources do not have any problems. It is only the internal test patterns. This doesn't look like it is going to affect the picture but I would like to fix it because the tubes on this projector are very clean and I will probably end up selling it because I have a 9pg xtra already.

Any Ideas on why the internal test patterns would have this problem but external test patterns look fine?

Richard

·
Registered
567 Posts
If the external test patterns look fine then i wouldn't be too concerned with the internal ones.

Supply your projector with the highest video bandwidth that you are going to use and adjust the astig using the internal dot pattern.

Make sure all your centreing magnts are set first, because once these are moved you will have to redo the astig.

Then adjust focus and convergance using an external test pattern.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I understand why we use the highest resolution and refresh with the external source for convergence etc. but why should I use the internal dot pattern for astig? Is this a more accurate way to adjust astig even though I will be viewing movies from the external source (PC) and have dot patterns available via DVD or PC program?

I am always on the lookout for better and/or more accurate ways to do things and will change the source to internal for astig adjustments if that is best.

Regarding the test patterns: I wouldn't care about the thicker horizontal lines on the internal patterns if I were going to keep the projector for home. But I would really like to fix it because I will likely make the projector available for sale to help finance my home theater addiction. :eek: Anybody have an Idea on the internal test patterns?

Richard

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry, i was ass about. Use an EXTERNAL dot pattern to adjust the ASTIG.

My internal test patterns have a small wobble to them. So i would have to guess that circuitry which is generating these internal patterns are picking up a bit of noise.

Perhaps something similar is happening with you.. but with a different effect.

Bottom line is... use external patterns for everything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cookie Thanks for the correction, that makes more sense.

I really don't know were to start with the test pattern problem. I guess it is not such a big deal but I would like it to look right. I have a 9pg xtra that I can switch some things to trouble-shoot but they have different tubes and I'm not sure which boards would be compatible to swap.

Richard

·
Registered
567 Posts
Im not sure which boards are compatible with a 9PG+ and a 9PG Extra. Does anyone know? Especially in the internal test pattern generation area?

I have all the board numbers for the 9PG+. If you can find a 9PG Extra supplement than you could work out what boards are the same.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
RNO,

I have seen this before but cant remember what it was, it was awhile ago.

The test patterns are generated from the system board and a lot of the boards are not compatable between these two models. If I remember right this problem had no affect on the operation of the projector but Ill take a look through my notes and see if I can dig up something on it. This will be a few days, most of these are in boxes that I need to go through anyways. Doug

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Doug that is very kind. I assumed that not many of the boards would be compatible. I also have a 9pg xtra that was DOA so I will eventually need to trouble-shoot it and have it repaired or use it for spare parts.

Thanks again,

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.