AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says maximum RGB resolution is 1600 x 1200. Well. that's what the spec says. But realistically and practically, for 100" diag. screen, how does that look? are there significant amount of overlap?

If I use powerstrip and scale it to 1440 x 960 (twice the native DVD resolution) and run PowerDVD at full screen mode, how would it looK?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1280x720 is about as high as you would want to go with a 6 or 9PG series NEC projector. These are 7" CRT tubes and at 720p the lines just begin to overlap. The image would be too soft for most peoples taste at 1440x960, YMMV.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Guys,

the tubes in the PG "Extra" series are different than the standard PG series. The 9PG "Extra" is a different beast, by many technical standards the performance of it can be compared to a 8" projector (Runco).

Will it handle the aforementioned rate (1440x960), you would have to try it and see.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mike,

Yes the CRTS in the "Extra" series are different but they are no larger. To call them 8 inch CRTs is by no means credible. The Extra is an excellent projector and I would not hesitate to trade my "Plus" for an "Extra".

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"To call them 8 inch CRTs is by no means credible"

I agree, I have no idea why they call them 8 inch CRTs, however, they do have a simular size raster area as the 8 inch CRTs in a Marquee (6 inches), whereas the standard PG series has a 5.5 inch raster area, which is more common on 7 inch CRTs. Maybe that's why they're called "Extra"

I have both a Marquee 8" tube and a 6PG "Extra" tube in front of me, they both are the same size diagonally, and neither one measure 8 inches, both measure 7" diagonally...

Beats me!?

·
Registered
359 Posts
to me - it sounds like NEC are the only ones that have figured out how to use a tape measure.

....computer monitors have a similar problem ...17 in monitor with 15.6" viewable... they do this because some of the plastic covers the outside of the CRT...

BUT in a projector CRT there's nothing covering it... to Call an actual 7" CRT 8" is simply FALSE.... no matter which way you look at. ...ask any woman... she'll tell ya 6" isn't 7" and 7" isn't 8"..

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JSW
If I use powerstrip and scail it to 1440 x 960 (twice the native DVD resolution) and run PowerDVD at full screen mode, how would it looK?
Since you're running an HTPC, simply try it out and see! Turn off the red & blue guns so that you don't have to re-converge and simply switch to 1440x960 and you'll see right away how much the scan lines do or do not overlap in your setup.

Odds are you'll find it a bit soft... 720p seems to be the sweet spot for most people on most 8" CRT's.

Kal

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried 1600*1200 resolution last night

It wasn't fully converged.. probably about 95% converged. Blue Defocussed.

Surprisingly, It was pretty good. I was clearly able to read all the windows fonts and etc. I am still a newbie in CRT world, but It looked pretty good to me. Not sure whether what I was looking at might have been not so good for the experts.. but I was fairly happy with the screen.

·
Registered
876 Posts
1600 X 1200 is well beyond a resolution at which you can expect the sharpest image possible. If it looks good to you and you wish to impress your friends then by all means display 1600 X 1200 and brag about your resolution. :)

If you wish to listen to those who know the limitations of the projector and offer good solid advice then learn the projector and dial it in properly around 720p. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes..

Since then I revisited my projector, redialed it into 720P resolution, and now I understand why people here says 720P is the sweet spot. It is much clearer.

Thanks for all who helped.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"If you wish to listen to those who know the limitations of the projector and offer good solid advice"

Bill,

I'm not sure what this means, but are you saying that you know the limits of this particular NEC and it is 720P, or are you aware that this particular NEC (Runco IDP 980 Ultra) has won awards, and has beat out some of the most popular projectors that we know of, and has done it twice. Sam Runco used his processor (CS-4050). Are you familiar with this processor?

The 9PG Extra is one awesome projector, it exceeds the 9PG in performance. This question was:

" If I use powerstrip and scale it to 1440 x 960 (twice the native DVD resolution) and run PowerDVD at full screen mode, how would it looK?"

There was only two replys that did not reccommend 720P, and that was to just try it:

My quote:

" Will it handle the aforementioned rate (1440x960), you would have to try it and see."

Kal's quote"

"Since you're running an HTPC, simply try it out and see!"

I don't throw out sweet spots for high performance projectors, I know better. For instance: the TAW 800 at Cedia was running at 1080P, it is an 8" Marquee projector, from the reports it was awesome. But many would say that its sweet spot is 720P. I think it's a preference thing. When I setup a projector I will show my customers the different rates and let them make the choice. All of my 8" CRT customers has chose 960P, only one has his Marquee 8000 operating at 720P, and that is because of his vision problem. I believe it It depends on the processor and setup, we have been very busy with the ROCK in this area, and Mark keeps one on order, he takes one out and demo it on his customers projector, and everyone has bought one, and they are demo'd at 960P.

Try it...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mike,

I do believe the sweet spot for an "Extra" projector is at or about 720p. If the user knows EXACTLY what they are doing and is willing to spend hours upon hours to get optimal focus and astig settings then yes, the projector can do more than 720p and do it very well. I have found that a regular 6PG or "Plus" dials in between 600p and 680p depending upon the setup. We all know these projectors can display higher resolutions and the optimal resolution IS in the eye of the beholder. Regards.

·
Registered
108 Posts
JSW,

I have a NEC 9pg Extra and a 80 inch wide screen.

I have tried the following processors:

Faroudja VP301, 600P , could see scan lines at 12 feet away.

Faroudja 400, 960P, too soft.

Currently have a Faroudja NR 1024x768, looks great.

Kal said it best, just simply try various rates and use the rate that YOU like.

Have fun, Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.