AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 9PG xtra (1400hrs) few weeks ago but never really had time to set it up. Now I am slowly starting to play with it.

I apologize if some of my questions has been discussed in the past. I spent great deal of time searching this forum but I may have overlooked something.

Ok. This is what I have done so far.

1) I placed the PJ on top of a tea table. Decided to set it up at 100" dia. screen. Placed the green CRT in line with the center of screen. The PJ is sitting right around 116.2". (manual says 116.16" but I don't think I can position it accurately down to 0.01") Everything is (to the best of my ability) flat, level, square, perpendicular, parallel and still.

2) Turned on the projector, connected to a laptop with XGA resolution RGB. I registered that signal. Reduced brightness to 40, contrast to 50. Turned off Red and Blue CRT.

3) I went through every single controls and "normalized" everything. (but I didn't use passcode option to reset the eeprom)One thing - Normalizing mostly sets every control to zero except "PHASE".. it normalizes to +30 on V / -50 on H (or vice versa. don't remember exactly). Is this normal??

4) I put up the course grid test pattern. It appears to have bad keystone errors compounded with whole lot more errors. One of the difficult thing I am discovering is, It is really difficult to figure out what exactly is wrong with the picture... Is it keystone? is it bow/skew/tilt or is it really keystone? sort of thing... :(

Anyway, Let me explain the screen I am getting at this stage (on green only) . It is in a shape of trapezoid with one corner bent. in more detail -

- Top edge looks pretty straight and horizontal.

- Right edge is bit skewed (keystone-type I think).

- RIght half of the bottom edge is straight, and left half of the bottom edge is bent (bowed) upward by fair bit.

- Left edge is skewed (more than right edge)

Also, I measured the projected screen width and height with a ruler (i.e., measuring the test grid's width and height). I was supposed to get 80" by 60" according to the manual, but I am getting about 76" by 55". I don't think correcting the trapezoid will bring the screen back to 80" by 60". I think I should be getting something close to 80"x60" without using amplitute control, right? Am I doing this right? Then I found two VR pots on the board. One labeled "H-Width" and the other "V-Height". Do I need to touch this?

Also, each CRT has two focus rings labled 1-2-3-4-5. For 100" diagonal 12 degree table top projection, it should be 3-3, 1-3, 3-3. Mine is at this setting, but for some reason the sticker lable (with 1-2-3-4-5 each written in square grids) and the actual notch position on lever doesn't match all that nicely. (hope I am making sense - May be I should add a photo)

What I really want to know is, do you see something seriously wrong with what I am doing and/or the projector based on my description?

Any help, Any comment, Any Anything really appreciated.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You indicated that you normalized the settings. This is good. Did you then go into the Alignment menu and adjust your geometry and amplitude settings? You did not indicate that you did. Simply normalizing the settings gives you a baseline to begin with. It does not set the projector up for viewing or give proper geometry and size. Pardon me if you've done this but your post simply indicates that you've normalized the settings. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normalized every single item in the entire menu set.

As I said before, "normalizing" usually puts zero on all the setting except for the phase. When I normalize, I get something like +25 and -30 on phase (not sure of the exact number). I thought this was strange... I thought when I normalize it should put zeros.

Is there any other "hidden" control which I can get into and normalize?

Thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.