AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The room is 9 foot wide 22 foot deep.   Today im getting my new B&W Front stage LCR.   But really trying to figure out best placement and way to go with getting room to sound good. Only 9 foot wide seems to really tone down the surround effects. Anyway around this?

Reciever is VSX1122.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You may want to try bipole surround speakers for all 4 surround positions. Have the speakers up high but angled down should help keep it wide without being right in your ear. Also why do you have such a high front stage??? The tweeters from your front 3 speakers should all be at seated ear level. Are you getting towers or are you getting LCR (like bookshelf or MTM) type speakers?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry the second photo did not upload. See the second photo for stage height. 

·
Registered
30,703 Posts
First thing I would do is move the centre speaker forward, just past the edge of the platform, and tilt it up towards the listeners' ears. Then move the subwoofer to the midpoint of room width and put an absorber on top of it (a pillow will do until you get an absorber). Remember to re-run your receiver's auto calibration routine.

To get better surround in your room, I would use two pairs of speakers: one pair directly to the sides (or slightly forward) of the first row and a second pair spread out on the back wall. This will give you wrap-around envelopment as well as side-vs-rear separation in the surround field.

BTW, how far is the front row from the screen? Would you be willing to move the front row?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Made a little Purchase today figured time to upgrade the old polks.  B&W683s... And the not so great matching center....

Dont mind the picture. I have it set for complete dark.

These are where my current surround and surround backs are.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Have you considered room treatments at all? You should apply acoustical treatment to as many reflection points as you can. One way to find each seats refection point is to have someone sitting in each chair and then get another person to hold/drag a mirror along the side until the seated person sees that speaker. That a reflection point. Some base trapping in the corners would be good too.

Do you listen to movies at reference levels or lower? How do you like the sound now?

Also just behind you door what is that? Looks like another opening?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I like to listen it pretty loud. On my Pioneer VSX-1122 I keep it around -8 to -10 while listening to HT.  The issue comes from a lack of surround effect i guess is my issue. My brother in law and i bought the same equipment to a T and i set them both up myself. His room is 14x21 thought and the extra width of the room really makes the sound stage so much wider and left and right effects so strong for as simple as his is.. Its my benchmark.  I've been throwing money at the issue but am starting to think thats not the answer fine tuning and setting the room up is whats going to be key.

I've been looking into DIY panels for the room yet am not 100% sure about placement of speakers. So i want to nail that down before attaching things to the wall. 

Am I doomed to have that sound im looking for due to room size? Or with proper treatments can I achieve the same results?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also yes that corner does go to a L shape and has another 4x4 space which goes to closet with equipment in it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well 9ft wide does limit what you can do. I have never tried this but I have heard of ppl doing this. Angle the surround speakers so that they fire into the wall and have the reflected sound be the sound that reaches your ear. This is said to open up the area with sound and have the sound all around you. Also if you would have gone with an acoutstically transparent screen you could have put 3 683's behind the screen and that would have allowed you to get more proper placement with the front sound stage and give you a wider front sound as well. Another thing you may want to consider is getting 2 new identical subs. Let the subs do everything from 80hz and below and set all speaker crossovers to 80hz. This will free up Receiver headroom and help the mids and highs to sound better.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Adkins  /t/1521085/9x22-room-picture-included-7-1-setup-really-trying-to-tune-the-room-in#post_24446447

I like to listen it pretty loud. On my Pioneer VSX-1122 I keep it around -8 to -10 while listening to HT.  The issue comes from a lack of surround effect i guess is my issue. My brother in law and i bought the same equipment to a T and i set them both up myself. His room is 14x21 thought and the extra width of the room really makes the sound stage so much wider and left and right effects so strong for as simple as his is.. Its my benchmark.  I've been throwing money at the issue but am starting to think thats not the answer fine tuning and setting the room up is whats going to be key.

I've been looking into DIY panels for the room yet am not 100% sure about placement of speakers. So i want to nail that down before attaching things to the wall. 

Am I doomed to have that sound im looking for due to room size? Or with proper treatments can I achieve the same results?

Your surround speakers are pointed right at you and appear to be fairly close. Your brothers room probably has his further away making the sound more enveloping. You can maybe try changing your side surround to dipoles. Dipoles are meant more for sound dispersion. Your rears in those corners may still be ok but alternatively you could try to put them inwards on the back wall. This may create a more sweet spot for the first row at the expense of the rear row.

Your front speakers are buried in the front corner and probably not the best spot for them. this is mainly due to your smaller room. You could try to bring them up below that front box or just at the edge of it. You will get improvement from the front wall reflections but you will still have side wall reflections as they will still be close to the side walls. Normally you want your speakers away from the walls by 2 to 3 feet or so each but you will not be able to do that. A pref screen and in wall speakers is another option but that is also another expense that you may not want to incur.

If you did more your fronts up than you can use the corners for bass type acoustical treatments.

You are not doomed but just somewhat limited by you room sound.

Also as a last touch up you can use EQ for the lower subwoofer bass region to improve that sound. Also often improving the sub region also improve the mid too indirectly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So i did a couple things.  And have greatly improved the sound.  

One was i used a DB meter to set speaker levels vs the auto cal which has my surround speakers at almost 10DB to low. average test tone DB was 74 yet SL and SB's were at 62  after fixing just this alone sound really awoke from surround speakers.

Next up was taking the suggestion of moving the 7.1 channels to the rear wall and in the middle 3 foot apart from each other. Really gave the rear channels a "WRAP" around feel with the sound and seperating the channels nicely.

I have been playing with the SR & SL placement all day today and every time i move them next or slightly behind i lose some seperation and the front half of room feels empty.  Moving the surround speakers just in front of the front row and facing them back really ties the room together. Although it does cause issues with rear seating. But not every spot can sound good as we all know.

I am going to listen to it like this for a few days and go from there :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts