AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room I'm thinking about setting up a projector in is probably the size of some of your closets...only 9'3" deep. Taking into account the depth of the projector (AE100...what else would someone talk about here?) and assuming I project on the wall, I got:

Calculated 16:9 Screen Size

Diagonal Range: 71.6 - 89.0 in. ( 6.0 - 7.4 ft.)

Height Range: 35.1 - 43.6 in. ( 2.9 - 3.6 ft.)

Width Range: 62.4 - 77.6 in. ( 5.2 - 6.5 ft.)

Assuming I sit on a couch against the wall (so about 9' even away) I'm sitting between 1.38x and 1.7x the screen width.

Do you think this would be too close to the screen that screen door would be bad? I searched around and the smallest I saw someone projecting was a 10.5' space. I'm not sure how the seating distance ratio to width and the ACTUAL distance interact in such a short room...

·
Registered
412 Posts
This sounds like a case for a big screen TV maybe. From < 9' away with a large RPTV (65" or so) you would end up with a good HT experience. LCD projection from that distance would probably reveal a lot of artifacts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Panasonic 75U, MLA though. I sit at about 9' away, (my room is 11x9) with a 4:3 screen of 66-67" width, about 52" high. Me and my wife enjoy it no problems even without defocusing.

Depends on your source as well - if you got a native 848 VGA? for your AE-100 it might not matter even if WVGA.

If you consider the thickness (depth) of a big RPTV, plus the pain of moving a behemoth in such a small space, I am not sure if that is a better setup than an AE-100.

Why don't you simulate the distance and sizes - go to a dealer and check out whatever LCD they got.

·
Registered
485 Posts
LateComer is right- evaluate. personally, i think a 65" screen from ~9' away would be acceptable. however you won't know until you try it in the store or in your house. also consider that a non-projector TV is going to have depth and will put you even closer to the screen.

-z

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
hmm. at that size i might lean towards a 50" plasma. prices keep dropping and quality keeps rising. a RPTV would cut down the size of the room quite a bit. a front pj might work but I'd really try to audition the exact pj, the exact screen size and the exact sitting distance in this case. the rules of thumb on picture size/seating distance tend to break down when you're very close or very far from the screen...eye fatigue, depth perception, etc.

TM

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, if you're not proned to rainbows (or able to tolerate them anyway), I may be able to suggest going with a DLP pj. I have a dlp and I lie on my bed exactly 9 feet away and still able to watch a movie that's 8 feet wide! No problems. Try it and rule it out.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AE100 was my choice because of price. Its really stay with my current setup or switch to that. RPTV of comparable quality and plasma are both way out of the budget.

Sounds like its doable...

Latecomer, what is MLA?

·
Registered
42 Posts
helps increase LCD brigthness efficiency but side effect of lessening screen doors - also the PT-LC75U is XGA.

But then, it all depends how your eyes are sensitive and how far you sit and how wide the screen...

·
Registered
362 Posts
The last thing you want is to try to stuff an RPTV into that little room. FP can be terrific for giving you a big picture with very little bulky equipment. If you are interested in DLP, look at the Piano website. They have a chart showing their throw distances. My Piano is maybe 10' away from a screen 4' x 7' 3" or so. If I wanted a 4:3 screen, it woule be bigger than that (or the Piano would be closer to the screen). The Piano vs. AE 100 has been debated elsewhere, but one point may not have been made clearly: in comparing the cost of the two, bear in mind that the Piano has a built-in scaler/deinterlacer, while the AE100 crowd seems to have HTPC in mind, which costs extra.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've already got and plan on using an HTPC. I thought my signature might have denoted that... :)

Is the MLA like the IMX "processor?" Who makes those?

Basically, I want to know if people think something like the AE100 would work. Was my math on the screen distance right? Its either this or stay with my current display, since anything above (even like the Piano) is out of budget.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
I've already got and plan on using an HTPC. I thought my signature might have denoted that... :)

Is the MLA like the IMX "processor?" Who makes those?
From what I read, an MLA is a set of micro lenses built into the LCD panels, one little lense over each pixel, to make each pixel look bigger than it is. An IMX lense is something that sits on the outside lense of the projector to optically split light in both directions in an attempt to smooth out the screen door effect.

As for your question, I think that you might do pretty well with an AE100.

Given the choice, I would go that route vs. an RPTV because the RPTV takes a lot of space. A projector ceiling mounted wouldn't take floor space and wouldn't remove available depth from the room.

If you do this, you might end up wanting to build a "hush box" because you may be sitting with your head a few feet below the projector.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Namlemez...

I have my AE100 set up in a room very similar in size to yours... my projector is about 9.5 feet from the screen, which gives me a maximum screen width of around 80". I am using an HTPC @ 856x480 and the projector is set to WIDE480.... I could not be happeir with the quality, BUT with the projector that close to the screen, it is almost too bright (a filter would probably be needed -- mine will be ordered as soon as I get back home from parts unknown) I don't notice screendoor with a slight de-focus from that distance and I am projecting onto a DIY blackout curtain screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.