AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an example of a sizable Sintra-based screen. I am /did use a Hybrid Wagner CS Max / Graco HV2900 set-up, where the Turbine was a Wagner CS-M and the Gun was a Graco 2900 unit equipped with a 1.0 mm needle kit.

A little bit of additional take on the latter:

Using a 1.0 mm needle means that Duster coats consist of "very thin paint" applied a close to maximum pressure output, from a distance of 14" to 16" off the surface, and at a speed of 3' per second minimum. (...a rapid sideways shuffle...) The initial coat will look very VERY light, and the observable droplet size should be very small if both the speed across the surface is sufficiently fast enough, and the paint itself thin enough to exit freely through the Gun's 1.0 mm orifice.

Below are shots of the screen construction process, staring with the raw, just unpacked Sintra, the prepped location the Sintra is to go onto (...support Ledge / corner guide installed...) the Sintra mounted (...with PowerGrab Heavy Duty Clear Adhesive applied to the wall within a marked off perimeter...) Cardboard masking (...scavenged from the Sintra packing material...) and the Sintra after having received the first two Dusters.

I will have a image of the screen wholly painted later today, sheathed in 2 mil Plastic for protection. Why so?

Because it will be past the middle of next week before the Panny get's up and operational because the Painters have to paint out the Walls, Ceiling, and Trim

·
Registered
194 Posts
MM,

Where do you purchase your Sintra board from? Online, Local? I live in Grand Rapids Michigan and am starting to do some research on my upcoming projector build and am interested in doing a 2.39:1 130" screen with your Silver Fire v2.5. It would be nice to have it pre-cut. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24478457

MM,

Where do you purchase your Sintra board from? Online, Local? I live in Grand Rapids Michigan and am starting to do some research on my upcoming projector build and am interested in doing a 2.39:1 130" screen with your Silver Fire v2.5. It would be nice to have it pre-cut. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Ryan,

Sintra and similar materials are purchased locally from Plastic Sheeting Supply firms, or Sign Shops. Online shopping is not an option.

However you are a lucky guy:

Piedmont Plastics

Grand Rapids

7650 Caterpillar Court SW Ste B Grand Rapids, MI 49548

Phone 616-281-3654

60 x 120 x 6mm Komatex (Sintra clone) @ $89.35 (...walk-in Cash price)

You can't get a better deal....believe me

They can cut the 12" rip to 50" for you (...strongly advised...) and check to make sure it is "square" on all sides. Some outlets charge for that, others will do a single cut gratis/

The singular most important thing to ask them to be assured of....that at least one side is pristine and unblemished. And then....protect the sheet in Cardboard (like I did/do) for travel.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24479061

Ryan,

Sintra and similar materials are purchased locally from Plastic Sheeting Supply firms, or Sign Shops. Online shopping is not an option.

However you are a lucky guy:

Piedmont Plastics

Grand Rapids

7650 Caterpillar Court SW Ste B Grand Rapids, MI 49548

Phone 616-281-3654

60 x 120 x 6mm Komatex (Sintra clone) @ $89.35 (...walk-in Cash price)

You can't get a better deal....believe me

They can cut the 12" rip to 50" for you (...strongly advised...) and check to make sure it is "square" on all sides. Some outlets charge for that, others will do a single cut gratis/

The singular most important thing to ask them to be assured of....that at least one side is pristine and unblemished. And then....protect the sheet in Cardboard (like I did/do) for travel.

Wow awesome, thanks for finding that. When I was on their site I saw they had Sintra and Komatex. Is there one that is better than the other?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24479315

Wow awesome, thanks for finding that. When I was on their site I saw they had Sintra and Komatex. Is there one that is better than the other?

Both Sheets are virtually the same, only Komatex is usually less expensive.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24536899

Any updates/pictures on this project?

Dave

Hanging the Projector after Church today.

The Carpet ordered came in the wrong pattern and set the process back 10 days minimum
Only the Padding is down, so I have not done the Trim yet, preferring to wait until I have a clean, new Floor to place it on while wrapping / stapling.

I will have a few images to show however.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24591472

Carpet is down....Screen trim is going up by Saturday. Completed images coming soon.

Looking forward to the pictures! By the way, please include pictures of how the projected image looks on the screen, with the daylight (like it is in the second and third picture at the top of the page). After all, that's a big reason for the Silver Fire is for the way it rejects ambient light.

Thanks,

Dave

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will do so, as much as circumstances dictate. The images already shown have 2 untreated west facing windows, and in mid-late afternoon, the amount of light coming from those untreated windows is prodigious. Really, it would be completely untenable for anything but a screen designed to combat ambient light,and if the Sun's angle is right, it isn't "ambient"...it's DIRECT sunlight.

...........which of course is the bane of even specialty screens, even those who are virtually deep Black and being splashed with mega lumen output.

I might get some Morning shots while the sun is over on the east side of the home....and perhaps a few mid-afternoon "worst case" ones as well, just to see how things hold up. Judge accordingly.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24593201

I will do so, as much as circumstances dictate. The images already shown have 2 untreated west facing windows, and in mid-late afternoon, the amount of light coming from those untreated windows is prodigious. Really, it would be completely untenable for anything but a screen designed to combat ambient light,and if the Sun's angle is right, it isn't "ambient"...it's DIRECT sunlight.

...........which of course is the bane of even specialty screens, even those who are virtually deep Black and being splashed with mega lumen output.

I might get some Morning shots while the sun is over on the east side of the home....and perhaps a few mid-afternoon "worst case" ones as well, just to see how things hold up. Judge accordingly.

I understand - sounds great - thanks so much!

Dave

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a little bit more to share, just not as much as I'd hope to.

I woke up the next AM with a clogged Chest and Nose (Oak Tree Pollen) and basically felt miserable all day. But I did manage to OTC medicate myself enough to venture out and make up the screen trim. Even that effort felt like I was digging a ditch with a Teaspoon. This AM is worse...no sleep, lott'sa hacking and sniffling. Looking so much forward to taking the OTC crap and feeling like I'm spinnin' and stumblin' about. Not.

Standard issue Screen Trim components:

2 132" pieces of MDF Base Trim (3.25" wide) Inside edge Miter cut 45 degrees to 120"

2 60" pieces of MDF Base Trim (3.25" wide) Inside edge Miter cut 45 degrees to 50"

JoAnn Royalty Black Velvet (...the last bit I had from the recent sale....after this it's back to Sy's Triple Plush. )

1/4" T-50 Staples w/Arrow Overhand Staple Gun

First Trim Piece up............

Number Two up..........

Completed Screen Trim..........

You might note the change in Wall color...painted Outlet covers, as well as the medium Gray Ceiling w/corresponding Gray Base/Crown Trim (...changed over from White...) and the Gray w/ Brown Pattern Carpet

I'm attempting to spray out the Can Light "Eye Ball" Sheilds today, and trake thenm over to set in place. If I manage that much, be assured that I will also take some Screenies as well.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Looking good - I can't wait to see how an image looks on that screen with that amount of ambient light!

I sure hope you feel better - I'm sure it's miserable.

Thanks,

Dave

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24605303

Looking good - I can't wait to see how an image looks on that screen with that amount of ambient light!

Well I'll do'er. I'm sure anything not produced to be a ultra dark movie will still show lots of color and detail. But when confronted with direct sunlight, unless the combination of the darkness of the surface and the lumen output / contrast specs of the Projector can surpass the intensity of the incoming light, there will always be a loss of contrast (black levels)

As I said, what you see above is a un-shielded window directly to the left of the screen, letting full-on afternoon Sun wash onto the screen wall. Essentially, that compares to testing a Kelvar Vest using a 80 mm Anti-Personnel Gun.

There will be damage done.

If this was a Commercial setting and I wanted to combat such conditions, I would be using a BenQ SP940 and a Silver Fire v2.5 6.0 surface

4000 lumen @ 50K:1 contrast on a dark gray surface would do it.

The screen above is a SF v2.5 1.0
Quote:
I sure hope you feel better - I'm sure it's miserable.

Thanks,

Dave

Yesterday's big rain storm helped, as did prodigious doses of Mucinex and Advir

·
Registered
61 Posts
The screen looks really good MM.

Two quick questions. Where in North Mississippi do you get your Sintra?

Where can I find a comparison and use-case listing of the various Silver Fire variations?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordac  /t/1522402/a-120-x-50-2-39-1-silver-fire-v2-5-3-0-sintra-screen-w-panasonic-ae-8000u#post_24610516

The screen looks really good MM.

Two quick questions. Where in North Mississippi do you get your Sintra?

Where can I find a comparison and use-case listing of the various Silver Fire variations?

Piedmont Plastics , Memphis

As for an actual listing of use-per-application, there hasn't been a "Table" published, just the individual experiences and results achieved by those who have selected the various different levels of Colorant to match up with their viewing needs.

Pretty much....when someone comes on and lists his circumstances and equipment, either I or someone recommends something specific. Personal interaction....and a degree of culpability assures that no one wanders down a path that might lead to abject disappointment.

But'cha ya know....it;s not such a bad idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MM,

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions if you don't mind.

Do you have a preference in brands of PVC sheets (Komatex, Sintra, etc.)? And I assume you recommend the standard white matte finish?

I see the hybrid paint sprayer system you mention. Recommendations? I am currently looking at purchasing the Wagner 518080 CS Max HVLP , do you see any issues with this gun?

·
Registered
61 Posts
MM,

Never mind about my previous question about brands. I see you answered that question above already. I swear I was reading this thread for the third time before I realized you had already answered that question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts