AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully trainerdave can chime in here. :)

I was planning on waiting for the new crop of DVI-DVD players come out in the next few months before making a purchase. Not interested in the D1 or the HD931 and the 5900 is too expensive.

One of the main reasons I want to wait is that some of them are saying they will output 1366x768. From where I'm sitting this sounds great. No DAC (since you would go DVI) and no scaling by the panel.

However, I was PM'ing with pooperscooper and he mentioned that the AVM cannot be bypassed. Fair enough - I realize that. But I would still think that the image would still be improved over 480p/720p/1080i output even though the AVM processes the signal, unless of course the scaler in the DVD player is not as good as the AVM. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There have been numerous lengthy threads on P50 "native rate" video around here... and as I recall there was something about 1360x768 versus 1366x768. That's about all I remember on the subject. Not one of my bigger worries. ;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried searching but didn't find much. :(

I'm not "worried" about it per se, but if there is any advantage I may as well get a player that outputs 1366x768 rather than 480/720/1080. If I'm not mistaken there isn't a player on the market that currently has this...

O Where Art Thou Trainerdave?!! ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
I tried searching but didn't find much. :(

I'm not "worried" about it per se, but if there is any advantage I may as well get a player that outputs 1366x768 rather than 480/720/1080. If I'm not mistaken there isn't a player on the market that currently has this...

O Where Art Thou Trainerdave?!! ;)
I'd have said more, but didn't want to potential misinform. Since nobody's managed to provide more info since, I'll pop out another tidbit, which again is just from memory, and may be fundamentally wrong... at least the jist of it should be about right...

Nobody ever got any sort of "native rate" output to completely fill the P50 screen; the best they managed was to get 1360x768, I believe using a 1366x768 signal, which meant they lost 3 pixels on each side of the screen. So if you go for 1366x768 I believe you'll only see the middle 1360x768 pixels, but they'll be mapped pixel-to-pixel on the display. It still travels through the AVM circuitry though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks D... :)

Interesting...well, a pixel to pixel mapping might just be worth losing 3 pixels on each side if in fact there is a pq improvement. Really need to understand how/what the AVM does with a 1366 signal. Then again, I guess who cares how it works since it is really only the end result that counts, i.e., even if the AVM scales the image again, it may be easier/cleaner for it to re-scale a 1366 vs. a 480/720/1080 image and thus may give a better pq.

·
23,030 Posts
Well, I gave you the executive summary in the PMs, but since you

don't believe me here's most of the gory details. :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=P50

I can't find the thread where "somebody" exchanged email

with Fujitsu in Japan(?) and the "jist" was that all video is intended

to go through the AVM even if not scaled (resolution change). This makes

sense because of the other PQ enhancing features, eg motion adaptation,

or whatever you want to call it, and such. Another interesting

revelation from them was that they did not support 1366x768 because

at the time they tested, the PC video cards were not "stable" at

that resolution. Whatever they meant by "stable", who knows? :)

Hence, 1360x768 was used.

larry

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That link was *exhausting* to read! Whew. ;)

Way too tired to process all that info so I'll have to revisit it tomorrow. Although I will say you have really dug into this one...well done. :) I also thought tmmort's comments were valuable.

I just wish I knew the punch line to this issue. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.