AVS Forum banner

3841 - 3860 of 3898 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you need a horizontal center? How about space and budget?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Yes to horizontal center. Budget depends on what I am buying.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Yes to horizontal center. Budget depends on what I am buying.
If you've decided on the 1099s LCR I would go with all Volts for sides rears and heights if you're doing those. Combination of 10s 8s and 6s, or you could go with all Volt 8s for bed and 6s for heights. I would stay with all ported boxes. I went with the 8s with my 1099s LCR, originally planned on the 10s but with a reco from someone's opinion that I respect I decided on the 8s (couldn't be happier) and 6s for the heights. I used all regular ported boxes. The horizontal 1099 is not a compromise in my opinion, a horizontal center baffle speaker measured very good in a vertical orientation as well, didn't think it would.

I can't see your ceiling very well from the photo so don't know if you plan on doing Atmos, if so I highly reco you picking up a Denon 4300 AVR with year end close out sale of $800 or under, best deal out there right now, good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you've decided on the 1099s LCR I would go with all Volts for sides rears and heights if you're doing those. Combination of 10s 8s and 6s, or you could go with all Volt 8s for bed and 6s for heights. I would stay with all ported boxes. I went with the 8s with my 1099s LCR, originally planned on the 10s but with a reco from someone's opinion that I respect I decided on the 8s (couldn't be happier) and 6s for the heights. I used all regular ported boxes. The horizontal 1099 is not a compromise in my opinion, a horizontal center baffle speaker measured very good in a vertical orientation as well, didn't think it would.

I can't see your ceiling very well from the photo so don't know if you plan on doing Atmos, if so I highly reco you picking up a Denon 4300 AVR with year end close out sale of $800 or under, best deal out there right now, good luck.
Thanks, at this time not doing atmos as I don't want to purchase another expensive receiver. So using the Yamaha to its max. I was thinking if I did 1099 I would do volts as well for surround. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Thanks, at this time not doing atmos as I don't want to purchase another expensive receiver. So using the Yamaha to its max. I was thinking if I did 1099 I would do volts as well for surround. Thanks for the feedback.
I understand that, I only suggested the 4300 cause it's discounted over $700 right now. The volts are in my opinion your best choice, they way out perform most commercial speakers costing a lot more and a nice easy load to drive as are the 1099s. You said you wanted to do 11 channels, the Yamaha has nine, do you have preouts on the 3020 for additional channels, if not how are you going to manage that? I know many friends using the V 6s all around for surrounds, if you can swing it I'd use the 8s as sides and 6s for the rest.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I understand that, I only suggested the 4300 cause it's discounted over $700 right now. The volts are in my opinion your best choice, they way out perform most commercial speakers costing a lot more and a nice easy load to drive as are the 1099s. You said you wanted to do 11 channels, the Yamaha has nine, do you have preouts on the 3020 for additional channels, if not how are you going to manage that? I know many friends using the V 6s all around for surrounds, if you can swing it I'd use the 8s as sides and 6s for the rest.
Not sure if I could get anything for my Yamaha 3020. If I did volts I would do 8s all the way around. I can't do ceiling speakers as my ductwork caused issues on one side. I might look at the denon and see if I can sell the Yamaha. Can I do atmos against the wall or does it have to be on ceiling?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wife gave me ok to sell my old stuff and buy new. I have a two channel amp I was going to use for my rear presence. So assume should work with the denon. So I will have 7.2.4 :)

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Not sure if I could get anything for my Yamaha 3020. If I did volts I would do 8s all the way around. I can't do ceiling speakers as my ductwork caused issues on one side. I might look at the denon and see if I can sell the Yamaha. Can I do atmos against the wall or does it have to be on ceiling?
I know quite a few folks that have slant box design and mount them on wall as close to ceiling as possible and are very pleased with the results, many guys can't do on ceiling mounts and do what I just outlined. On ceiling in my opinion is the best method but some guys are even enjoying up firing modules on the mains and sides. The up mixing feature of the Atmos receivers is really nice as well with DTS Neural X that don't have the Atmos encoded on the discs. Even the SVS prime elevation speakers work half decent, the Volts would be much better. So my answer is yes I think they would work well.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Wife gave me ok to sell my old stuff and buy new. I have a two channel amp I was going to use for my rear presence. So assume should work with the denon. So I will have 7.2.4 :)
Yeah the Denon 4300 has 9 on board amps with preouts to add two additional channels with an external amp (2 channel) for 11.1.

Here's a good authorized dealer for Denon, Amazon has them at that price but you have to pay tax.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0PfcW...24868&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9005819

Lot of guys use this amp for the extra two channels, you can get better but why spend more?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94

Crutchfield has it too but I think it's more $$$

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do we know when the assembled crossover will be available for the 1099? I am very close on ordering some kits but would absolutely not mind paying for an assembled crossover!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Do we know when the assembled crossover will be available for the 1099? I am very close on ordering some kits but would absolutely not mind paying for an assembled crossover!
I thought it was available when ordering the kits, don't quote me though, I know my friend just ordered four Volts with assembled crossover boards, maybe Erich or Matt will chime in and verify. :)

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I thought we decided you didn't needed to worry about the 1099 because Matt's been assembling those for about 3 years along with most of the other kits, but I've never put them on the site because I've never had the assembled ones here. People have been sending their parts to him, then he ships back the completed crossovers.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,857
I thought we decided you didn't needed to worry about the 1099 because Matt's been assembling those for about 3 years along with most of the other kits, but I've never put them on the site because I've never had the assembled ones here. People have been sending their parts to him, then he ships back the completed crossovers.
I can't remember how we left it. I just didn't know completed XOers were going to be offered.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
They've been options on the site for some of the Fusions, Concentric-8, and Alpha models for a few years along with the more recent HTM's. I think there are a couple people that have been helping with crossover assembly for some of the other kits like the 1099 since they started.

I don't recall if I've ever tried shipping a completed 1099 crossover with the kit before because it's all packaged very tight with a custom shipping box. There's a chance it might not fit and then it would probably be better to go back to how they were being done before when people just sent their parts out to be assembled.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I could probably solder it together myself, are there boards for these that are predrilled that I missed somewhere?
Yes you can get the boards from Matt or send your XO components to him and he will assemble them and return the assembled board to you, I just purchased the boards from Matt (mtg90) and did my own. He has an excellent how to video on Youtube, gluing the components down and soldering techniques for a multi-component layout.

3841 - 3860 of 3898 Posts