AVS Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 3898 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I may have missed it somewhere but I'm curious how everyone is wiring the woofers on their 1099's? The schematic shown them wires in series but the cleanest way to actually wire n the box and the way it looks like most people have done it is parallel...both +'s connected together at the xo then wires going to each of the upper and lower chamber rather than running from xo to one woofer then jumping through the mid chamber to the second woofer.

If the diagram calls for series you should wire them that way. It would change the impedance significantly, for instance if the woofers are 4 ohm, you’d make them 2 ohm instead of 8 wired series. That and other issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the diagram calls for series you should wire them that way. It would change the impedance significantly, for instance if the woofers are 4 ohm, you’d make them 2 ohm instead of 8 wired series. That and other issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I realise that but in all the pics I've checked I haven't seen anyone that appears to have wired in series. Have you built a set?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I realise that but in all the pics I've checked I haven't seen anyone that appears to have wired in series. Have you built a set?
No but there are a couple reasons why it might look like parallel in pictures but not be. If it's a printed circuit board the board could be set up to be series but the wires still originate from the board. Also you can series by running the wires from the board to each driver and then connecting the + coming back from one speaker to the - coming back from the other. Make sense?-

·
Registered
180 Posts
No but there are a couple reasons why it might look like parallel in pictures but not be. If it's a printed circuit board the board could be set up to be series but the wires still originate from the board. Also you can series by running the wires from the board to each driver and then connecting the + coming back from one speaker to the - coming back from the other. Make sense?-
Never mind, I just found the actually drawing that came with the kit and they are parallel. I found another drawing online at one point that showed series...my mistake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reached the half way point for my cheap as chips lounge room 'theatre' build.

Still so much to do, and very little money to do it with.
I'm glad I've got this far and cant wait to continue adding and refining Everything!

Current setup;
DIYSG 1099 LCR (inc. resistor mod)
2x UM-18 in 4.7cf sealed
Denon x3300w
Behringer iNuke6000DSP
Sony 65' A1E OLED
XBOX One S
PS3

Out of Frame:
Gigabyte Gaming HTNotebook
Rega Planar 1 TT
Schiit Mani Phono PreAmp

I couldn't wait through my finicky laminate/paint picking process so I put them all together knowing I'll be in for some hard labour when I'm ready to finish them.
Although before that I am going to be making a new narrower entertainment unit so that I can get the LR off the subs and onto stands which will bring all the tweeters in line.

So after about 6 weeks of heavy listening, I'm dead set blown away whether it be watching movies, listening to all genre's of music or just some late night telly. Going from 2x 6" Polk Audio bookshelves to this is a giant leap :D
I've also had the chance to validate my system choice against a couple store bought systems worth a hell of a lot more $$
Demoing systems back to back with the same files has really cemented my love for diy.
Unintentionally, I think Iv'e shattered some of my friend's realities.

Although there has been a headache along the way which I have only managed to band-aid fix so far..
Seems the Denon and Behringer units I have don't like eachother as I am getting a very noticeable 'noise' between 300-450hz out of the subs with the subamp gain set to a typical 75-85%. When either amp is replaced with an alternative unit, there is no noise. :confused: (I have done a lot more testing, don't want to further clutter this post)

So, what's planned for the future;
Obviously complete the finish for all the boxes and solve the 'noise' issue,
Build a custom entertainment unit,
Build LR stands to match,
Buy some rugs and a more suitable couch for my lounge,
Maybe some bass traps for the corner wall junctions,
Pro calibrate the TV.

Big Thanks goes to everyone contributing on the forums and especially the boys at DIYSG.

Attachments

·
Banned
82 Posts
Just ordered a pair of 1099 yesterday, curious if they come with a crossover board? I have printed out the 8"x 11" crossover board layout provided on DIYSG website. But it seems big to me compared to all the other crossovers I have looked at online

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just ordered a pair of 1099 yesterday, curious if they come with a crossover board? I have printed out the 8"x 11" crossover board layout provided on DIYSG website. But it seems big to me compared to all the other crossovers I have looked at online

They do not come with a crossover board, but will include all parts for you to assemble and solder your own board. I used a 1/4 inch laminate board. The crossover is larger for the fact that these are a 3 way.
Good luck.

·
Banned
82 Posts
They do not come with a crossover board, but will include all parts for you to assemble and solder your own board. I used a 1/4 inch laminate board. The crossover is larger for the fact that these are a 3 way.
Good luck.
Okay sounds good, I was just doing some quick math and it seems like an 8" x 11" crossover would take up most of the middle chamber in the 1099, where as most pictures I have seen the crossover doesnt take up much space at all. I am building the crossovers before I build the cabinets so I dont want to realize after I finish the crossovers that they dont fit.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Okay sounds good, I was just doing some quick math and it seems like an 8" x 11" crossover would take up most of the middle chamber in the 1099, where as most pictures I have seen the crossover doesnt take up much space at all. I am building the crossovers before I build the cabinets so I dont want to realize after I finish the crossovers that they dont fit.
Yes the board will take up a lot of the space in the mid section. But you could create 2 boards one for the woofs and another for the mid and high. I didn't go that route but it could be done. Also remember the mid chamber is a sealed section , so any holes you drill through for the wiring , will need to be sealed after wire is run though .Another thing is once your mid section is complete and the crossover board installed, you can fill poly over the crossover board.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it was me(and was me last year)I would send Erich a message and change my order to the pre built crossovers.

3861 - 3880 of 3898 Posts