AVS Forum banner

3881 - 3898 of 3898 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some info and figured I'd post here vs creating a new thread.

Playing around a bit to figure out where to set the crossover for these. I'm crossing them to a pair midbass modules that are LPF'd at 150hz (an IB fills in below 60hz). Hoping to learn a bit about power handling on these as it relates to frequencies. Anyone able to shed some light on if raising the crossover above 80hz is recommended outside of just reading the response charts in REW?

For additional context, they currently have about 100w available to each for power. So nothing earth shattering.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some info and figured I'd post here vs creating a new thread.

Playing around a bit to figure out where to set the crossover for these. I'm crossing them to a pair midbass modules that are LPF'd at 150hz (an IB fills in below 60hz). Hoping to learn a bit about power handling on these as it relates to frequencies. Anyone able to shed some light on if raising the crossover above 80hz is recommended outside of just reading the response charts in REW?

For additional context, they currently have about 100w available to each for power. So nothing earth shattering.
With 100 watts, you won't hurt them regardless of crossover frequency (or even full range, but they won't sound great). Try different frequencies until you find what you think sounds best.

I have mine crossed at 120, but they're sitting on top of VBSS subs that are more than capable of providing that midbass slam.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With 100 watts, you won't hurt them regardless of crossover frequency (or even full range, but they won't sound great). Try different frequencies until you find what you think sounds best.

I have mine crossed at 120, but they're sitting on top of VBSS subs that are more than capable of providing that midbass slam.
Yep, I'm not worried about hurting them. I'm more interested in learning about how the crossover frequency will affect the wattage they require fro high SPL levels. I assume if I have them crossed lower, it'll take more power and therefore I'll lose some clarity/dynamics given that I only have ~100w to them. (I should note I'm well aware they play damn loud with 100w, but just looking for additional understanding and clarity). I'm not familiar with these Eminence woofers to know where they require the most power in the frequency range given the port tuning.

I'm just curious to know if anyone is able to shed some light on that @tuxedocivic, is this something you can answer?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm thinking of modifying my 1099's to fit behind a 12" deep screen wall, and wondering how a smaller woofer enclosure will affect the low end. Based on my calculations the enclosure volume with the flat pack is about 1 cu ft (gross, not deducting driver or port displacement), and if I cut 3.5" off the front of the box it'll give me about a 0.8cu ft per woofer. Since I can't find the T/S specs for those custom 10" woofers anywhere, I can't tell exactly how much that's going to change the low end. Would I still be fine with my subs crossing over at 80Hz? Or would I need to bump them up a bit? Ideally I'd like them to crossover about 10Hz higher than the -3dB point of the 1099's, so hopefully they'll still be able to get down to 70Hz with the slightly smaller enclosures since they go down to 50Hz with the 1 cu ft enclosures. Also, would I need to change the port length at all with the 20% smaller enclosure?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
@jleonard71 You could always just extend the boxes vertically (or horizontally) to make up the volume difference. The original 1099 woofers were the Eminence Delta-10B, which is what are in mine. There weren't any major t/s changes to the "custom" versions, as far as I know. The only major difference was the change to a black cone.
My 1099's are oversized compared to the original design. Audyssey wants to set them at 40Hz.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@jleonard71 You could always just extend the boxes vertically (or horizontally) to make up the volume difference. The original 1099 woofers were the Eminence Delta-10B, which is what are in mine. There weren't any major t/s changes to the "custom" versions, as far as I know. The only major difference was the change to a black cone.
My 1099's are oversized compared to the original design. Audyssey wants to set them at 40Hz.
I thought about doing that, however at that point I might as well just build new enclosures. I just figured this would be a quick and easy modification, and the front baffle can be re-used since I attached it with silicone and screws knowing that the full size enclosure was just temporary.

Here's a sketchup I started making up with longer boxes which are only 8" deep, and they retain the same 1 cu ft gross woofer enclosure. The midbass enclosure is quite a bit smaller, but still within the recommended range (barely). The drawback to that design is that I want to leave some room below the speakers to add a row of 18" subs down the road, and with the lengthened enclosure I only have about 19" of clearance beneath the speakers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I cross my 1099 off at like 50Hz with the stock design, 80Hz is way too high for good integration.
Why would 80Hz be too high? With sufficient subs there should be no problem crossing them over at 80 or even 90Hz. In fact, in the original design thread Matt recommended crossing them at 80hz and no less than 60Hz.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just what I found with listening tests. I could still differentiate between bass that was coming from the subs and mains at 80Hz.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just what I found with listening tests. I could still differentiate between bass that was coming from the subs and mains at 80Hz.
Ah, gotcha. The amount of distinguishable bass coming from the subs vs mains is going to vary based on the sub placement in the room as well as the hearing of the individual. Being that I plan to have the subs directly below the speakers I don't foresee that being an issue.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Why would 80Hz be too high? With sufficient subs there should be no problem crossing them over at 80 or even 90Hz. In fact, in the original design thread Matt recommended crossing them at 80hz and no less than 60Hz.
Just for the record, the Tux1099 (Elusive 1099) was designed by Ryan Bouma (Tuxedocivic), not Matt Grant.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I thought about doing that, however at that point I might as well just build new enclosures. I just figured this would be a quick and easy modification, and the front baffle can be re-used since I attached it with silicone and screws knowing that the full size enclosure was just temporary.
Sorry, I thought you were building cabinets from scratch anyway. What about extending the baffle only next to each woofer horizontally? You could have the woofer then the extended section would have the ports.
Check out this amazing drawing of what I'm talking about! lol

O:
[ ]
oo
O:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Are you sure there is that much room to spare inside the box? The waveguide with CD attached might not have an extra 3.5 inches behind them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you sure there is that much room to spare inside the box? The waveguide with CD attached might not have an extra 3.5 inches behind them.
There is plenty of room, the waveguide w/CD is only 5" deep and the woofer w/CD is about 6" deep. So you could really go with as little as 6.5" internal depth, which would be 8" overall depth. But without changing the woofer chamber height you'd be at just 0.40 cu ft, which would results a very high tune.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Ive started looking around for the 1099 again, is DIYSG gone forever? Their site hasnt been in stock for some time now.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Ive started looking around for the 1099 again, is DIYSG gone forever? Their site hasnt been in stock for some time now.
Covid has taken it's toll on every supply chain in some way. Erich has been waiting for parts for nearly every kit for months. There has been many posts and updates about this if you search. Good news is that 1099's will be back at some point. Just gotta sit tight.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Covid has taken it's toll on every supply chain in some way. Erich has been waiting for parts for nearly every kit for months. There has been many posts and updates about this if you search. Good news is that 1099's will be back at some point. Just gotta sit tight.
Well at least the longer I wait the more speakers Ill buy haha!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure Erich has been receiving hundreds of emails about the 1099. I think the kit will be available again soon. In the meantime, there are many great designs from Curt's Speaker Design Work website if you just want to explore more options.

3881 - 3898 of 3898 Posts