AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a search for xenon bulb info and came across a quick mention of a company by the name of CERMAX. Seems they make compact high intensity xenon lamps used in projectors. Well, then I did a search on CERMAX and came up with a company called the McLaughlin Consulting Group. I've only scanned a little of this site but found at least two pages here that might be of interest to some of us xenon bulb users.

http://www.mcgweb.com/articles/spie99.htm

http://www.mcgweb.com/personnel/fsbio.htm

Take special note of the last column in table 3 (first link).

I wonder if Dr. Felix Schuda would be willing to stop by our humble forum and give us an idea of what's in the works.

Any thoughts?

- monsoon

------------------

Darnit, I know it's here somewhere.... HONEY, Where's the remote?!?!

[This message has been edited by monsoon (edited 12-27-2000).]

·
Registered
203 Posts
monsoon,

Very interesting post. So prices should be coming down. I guess Pekin Elmer is the one who is shafting the D-ILA users?

Albert

[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Monsoon,

Great find. As long as we keep turning over rocks, we are bound to find a solution!

--------------------------------------------

"Never doubt that a small group of passionate idealists can change the world. Indeed, they are the only ones who ever have."

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday I emailed Dr. Schuda asking what he might know about the xenon lamps used in the JVC Gxx series projectors, specifically, the G11. His reply is as follows.

Dear Mr. Beall:

I am not certain, but I believe the lamp used is a 500 watt "Cermax" type

xenon lamp. They could also be using a conventional 450 watt xenon lamp in an external reflector. However, I think they would have difficulty getting the size small enough if they used a conventional xenon lamp. The Cermax

lamps were a proprietary lamp developed at ILC Technology. A few years ago ILC was bought out by EG&G who, in turn, changed their name to Perkin Elmer. I believe that at least some of the lamps are still made in Sunnyvale. Their phone number is 408-745-7900. Bear in mind that ILC/Perkin Elmer will probably not give you any information if you ask for anything about JVC. You should ask for information about their 500 watt Cermax lamps.

I hope this gets you close. Send me another email if you do not get the

information you need.

Regards,

Felix Schuda

BTW, my real name is Andrew Beall (no relation to forum member Scott Beall)

I'd like to send Mr. Schuda another email listing what we know about the Gxx lamps. I'd also like to follow up with the questions as listed below.

1) Does a street price of $775 for the G11 lamp and cartridge and $1,100 for the G20 lamp and cartridge sound reasonable?

2) JVC only recognizes a life span of 1000 hours for these lamps. What factors drive this? Can the lamps safely exceed this stated life span?

3) Do xenon lamps really explode. If so, what threat does an exploding xenon lamp pose to the projector?

4) Is it possible to find a third party to "after market" these lamps. What would the minimum run be to best the current street prices listed in question 1.

Any other questions you guys can think of would be helpful. Also, I need a list of things that are known about these lamps to put in my email. Help with a list will also be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

- monsoon (Andrew Beall)

------------------

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I should have kept this with MrWigggles' $200 G11 post.

Does anyone know how to combine this thread back into that one? Or should I leave this as a stand alone post?

------------------

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, I'm so happy to carry on the spirit of Christmas in me in this the season of giving by adding to my already remarkable lifetime charity contributions, and donate 700% of each dollar that I intend to spend for a replacement bulb. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

Let's all add to JVC's filthy wealth, shall we?

Luca

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 12-28-2000).]

·
Registered
404 Posts
I called Perkin Elmer and left a message. If they will cooperate, I will drop off a D-ILA lamp assembly and ask for replacement quotes. I will forward any information on this thread.

BTW, how critical is lamp alignment? My observations, given the flat field uniformity problems associated with the effects of gravity on the lamp arc, would indicate the requirement of a precise alignment of the lamp in the heat sink assembly. Can someone comment?

Don

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I started doing some digging about a month ago and found much of the same thing. Yes JVC gets their lamps for under $100. Please don't ask me for my sources.

Yes, it is possible to get third party lamps. JVC will not drop it's prices until it sees a threat(tapering off of sales). How will this happen? set up a source for others to purchase from.

I will be experimenting over the next couple months with extending bulb life(althought the current bulb will live well over a 1000 hours) This 1000 hour figure is to keep lumens near specs and reduce possibility of damaging projectors.

Making g1000/g11 into g15 through different power supply etc.

And evaluating if there's a market for cheaper bulbs. There are others in this same stance right now.

I'll let you know when I know.

It's unfortunate that JVC hears customers pleas but does nothing, however competition always changes business models.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don,

Good luck with Perkin Elmer. I hope something good happens.

As to your "BTW" question... Ummmmm... I'll let someone who understands the question answer that one.

- monsoon

------------------

It's only a little light bulb. Right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Any luck with Perkin Elmer, Monsoon?

David

·
Registered
842 Posts
The perkin-elmer company has been around quite a long time.

This company purchased lots of smaller companies including

ILC. Because of miserable management, perkin-elmer was

purchased by EG&G. EG&G was then purchased by the carlisle

group.

Reminds me of harman-kardon and computer associates.

I have 4 dead bulbs here all of the 450 watt variety.

All have imploded. i.e. the internal seals have

cracked. All of these bulbs had at least 1500 hours

on them.

None of these bulbs are from jvc projectors. All are

identical to the jvc bulbs however except for the

connector arrangement.

At 1500 hours all these bulbs show severe signs of

graying of the main bulb area, which certainly changes

the color temperature...

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
Those bulbs put out 10K L! I didn't realize the overhead of the optical systems was that high.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
6-to-1 and 8-to-1 are general consumer and pro level markup points over actual item manufacturing costs. So, if a bulb costs $100 for a MANUFACTURER to proccure (it is not a separate expense, or item, is is merely a PART of the finished item, that has to be sourced OUTBOARD), then a $700 list price is not out of line. On the pro-market, it can be even higher, like $700-900. This would not suprise me or upset me. This is SOP on EVERYTHING that you have bought in a store. This is the price of doing business, and has not changed, due to the FACT that this is what it takes to stay alive in this commercialized north american economy. If it could be done cheaper, the markets and pressure would have forced the pricing down already, or it is in the process of happening. That's the way it's always been, and is right now. You want it cheaper, well, fight for it, BUT... it will only happen if it is justifyable on all the right fronts. The suppliers of the bulbs will have to have a large enough market appear so that they can afford to separate themselves from the coat-tails of the manufactures as sources of revenue. When the saturation of market is high enough, and the leap can be safely performed (profit movtive and company viability at the fore in the bulb manufacturer's thoughts), the changeover WILL occcur, and your bulb will finally be cheap (one less set of hands in the pot, thus, one less layer of profiting.. basically half the current price is what will happen)

Welcome to the real world.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Steve,

Please send me a personal e-mail. There wasn't one in your profile to contact you off-line.

Thanks,

Mark

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Mark,

I suppose you haven't seen this news report .

(old-timers - sorry for bringing that one back...it's still good for a laugh).

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I noticed from the pattern of flying debris that there was cyclonic air flow during the explosion. Probably comes from the massive fans used to cool the bulb.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-20-2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.