AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 10 pages deep into every Google search string I could think of and have exhuasted things to try. I was hoping my first post here would be before and after pictures of my theater but alas I'm going to need some help getting there.

The Problem:

DTS is stuttering/choppy when playing through VLC media player.

It seems to work fine when I run the DD/DTS tests in control panel but the test tones are so brief I'm not sure I'd hear the occasional stutter.

Equipment:

HTPC - Windows 7 - Asus P5Q - Intel Core2Duo @~3.0ghz - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - ATI Radeon 4670

Optical out to:

Denon AVR-1910

What I've tried:

-Changing the output mode to WinWave (or whatever it's called) save, restart.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Just curious, why aren't you using HDMI from the 4670 to your Denon 1910 for sound? This would allow MultiChannel PCM for the advanced audio codecs (such as TrueHD/DTS HD MA at 16/48).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I was not aware that such a thing was even possible (sound out of DVI/HDMI)

When I start the receiver the PC auto detects the HDMI connection and says that I will need a seperate audio connection.

Does the 4670 support digital audio over HDMI? What do I need to make that happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Rather than ask 100 more questions I'll wait till I get home and do some testing.

OK I lied, one more question, VERY basic:

When using HDMI as audio output is the soundcard doing the decoding or is my videocard doing it?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedonismBot1138 /forum/post/18191753

Thanks!

Rather than ask 100 more questions I'll wait till I get home and do some testing.

OK I lied, one more question, VERY basic:

When using HDMI as audio output is the soundcard doing the decoding or is my videocard doing it?

The receiver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decoding was obviously the wrong term.

Even more basic question: If I'm outputting audio via HDMI, what happens if I remove my soundcard? Is it doing anything at that point?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The 4000 series ATi cards have an audio controller built in. The audio is being sent directly to the video card then to the receiver via HDMI where it decodes it. Your sound card has nothing to do with this process, it can be removed or disabled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me again

I've disabled my soundcard so that ATI HD Audio isd the onlyt device listed under sounds in control panel. However it is greyed out and says: "ATI High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In"

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried all ports and playing around with Denon settings.

Now hat I think about it My 4670 did not come with a dongle, I used one that I had lying around.

Do I need the dongle from ATI? Isn't one as good as another?

Seriously running out of things to try

EDIT: Scratch that, found the Dongle that shipped with my card. It made no difference at all.

Going to be a long week.

Even though I'm still screwed I'd like to sincerly thank those who have helped to this point. I'll be around to pay your kindness forward

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I unhooked and lugged the PC to the basement where my TV is and to my shock the audio worked right away.

Now I know the problem is the receiver. Hopefully after I run Audessy and run through the set-up properly I'll have more luck.

At the very least now i can leave this PC alone and narrow my googling to Getting Audio over HDMI on a Denon 1910

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts