AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 10 pages deep into every Google search string I could think of and have exhuasted things to try. I was hoping my first post here would be before and after pictures of my theater but alas I'm going to need some help getting there.

The Problem:

DTS is stuttering/choppy when playing through VLC media player.

It seems to work fine when I run the DD/DTS tests in control panel but the test tones are so brief I'm not sure I'd hear the occasional stutter.

Equipment:

HTPC - Windows 7 - Asus P5Q - Intel Core2Duo @~3.0ghz - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - ATI Radeon 4670

Optical out to:

Denon AVR-1910

What I've tried:

-Changing the output mode to WinWave (or whatever it's called) save, restart.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I was not aware that such a thing was even possible (sound out of DVI/HDMI)

When I start the receiver the PC auto detects the HDMI connection and says that I will need a seperate audio connection.

Does the 4670 support digital audio over HDMI? What do I need to make that happen?

Thanks

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Rather than ask 100 more questions I'll wait till I get home and do some testing.

OK I lied, one more question, VERY basic:

When using HDMI as audio output is the soundcard doing the decoding or is my videocard doing it?

· Registered
4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedonismBot1138 /forum/post/18191753

Thanks!

Rather than ask 100 more questions I'll wait till I get home and do some testing.

OK I lied, one more question, VERY basic:

When using HDMI as audio output is the soundcard doing the decoding or is my videocard doing it?

The receiver.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried all ports and playing around with Denon settings.

Now hat I think about it My 4670 did not come with a dongle, I used one that I had lying around.

Do I need the dongle from ATI? Isn't one as good as another?

Seriously running out of things to try

EDIT: Scratch that, found the Dongle that shipped with my card. It made no difference at all.

Going to be a long week.

Even though I'm still screwed I'd like to sincerly thank those who have helped to this point. I'll be around to pay your kindness forward

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I unhooked and lugged the PC to the basement where my TV is and to my shock the audio worked right away.

Now I know the problem is the receiver. Hopefully after I run Audessy and run through the set-up properly I'll have more luck.

At the very least now i can leave this PC alone and narrow my googling to Getting Audio over HDMI on a Denon 1910

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.