AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who pointed me to the Outlaw 950 reviews or responded in my previous post. From all that I've been reading, it sounds like the Outlaw 950 is a winner. However, it seems like most of the reviewers are going from using receivers for pre/pros to the 950 which I know without a doubt the 950 would spank the pants off any receiver's preamp section hands down.

Now what I'd like to know is whether any of the reviewers with the 950 have gone from any other pre/pros to the Outlaw and if so, can you share your opinions? I'm using a Newcastle 9080 which easily outperforms the receivers that I upgraded from however, just like most audio enthusiasts, I constantly get bitten with that "upgrade-itis" bug. :D So naturally, I want to know how the 950 stacks up against other pre/pros such as the Acurus ACT-3, Newcastle AVP-9080, Aragon Soundstage, Anthem, Lexicon and any others that folks have been able to compare. I know that the 950 has an advantage from the software aspect seeing as it has all the newest modes. But how does the 950 compare to these others from a 2 channel music reproduction perspective? Please do share your experiences!

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I can't answer your question but would like to bump this thread as I'm interested in the same information. I'll be going from an Adcom GTP-740 preamp. It lacks DTS decoding so I'm thinking that the 950 will be a good way to get there. I'm curious how it compares sonically, but I've got to assume that at a minimum, Outlaw has the benefit of a few years of technology advancements and it will beat out the Adcom in a comparison.

Cary

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody out there who is going from another pre/pro to the Outlaw 950??? What about Merc? What were you using before/

· Registered
70 Posts
Mad Dog - As one of the 950 beta testers I spent considerable time A/B ing the 950 with my MC-12. No, I didn't abandon the Lex unit for the 950, but I was very surprised at how close the two compared sonically, especially on two-channel.

If you're interested in the details of what I reported back in February, you may want to check here .

Regards - Gene

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At last...a comparison of between the 950 and other preamps!!! Gene, your link was very helpful! I'm rather surprised that I hadn't come across it before since I do visit that forum regularly! Thank you very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.