AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm not sure why there is an A/B front channel speaker switch on my Denon 1909 receiver.

The receiver is a 7.1 channel receiver with the option to use it as a 5.1 with a 2 channel independent zone. The rear of the receiver has outputs for both A and B for the front channel speaker and I don't know why. Do people really have four front speakers in their home theater so they can select between pairs? I doesn't seem to be an output for a separate room because the rear surrounds can be dedicated to that purpose. Any info would be great. Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsweakley /forum/post/16994304

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm not sure why there is an A/B front channel speaker switch on my Denon 1909 receiver.

The receiver is a 7.1 channel receiver with the option to use it as a 5.1 with a 2 channel independent zone. The rear of the receiver has outputs for both A and B for the front channel speaker and I don't know why. Do people really have four front speakers in their home theater so they can select between pairs? I doesn't seem to be an output for a separate room because the rear surrounds can be dedicated to that purpose. Any info would be great. Thanks!

If you only have a 5.1 speaker setup - and if your front L&R speakers are biamp-able you can use the rear surround amp channels to biamp them.

Don't get too excited however - there are minimal gains to be had - probably you won't notice a difference.

See page 35 of your manual for a full explaination.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsweakley /forum/post/16994304

Treat it just like another zone, only difference is you don't generally want to use "A" and "B" outputs at the same time. I believe most AVRs just parallel the "A" and "B" speaker outputs together. With some receivers it would be fine, others not so much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've done some seaching around and can't seem to find the answer, and this seem like the closest discussion...

I have the 1909 with a 5.1 home theater and an additional set of speakers in the ceiling of the kitchen which is maybe 15 feet away (Its a small house with an open floor plan). What I would like to be able to do is listen to the same source on all speakers, or just listen in the kitchen, or just in the home theater. Due to the close proximity of the two rooms, there is no reason I would ever try to listen to two different sources so it seems like the Multi-Zone setup doesn't work for me. Is the only way to acheive what I want is to hook up the kitchen speakers into the B set of the front speakers and then use the A/B switch on the unit to toggle the speakers? And if that is the case, is there any way to control the speakers switch with the remote (or a programmable remote)?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3sp3ck /forum/post/17652777

I've done some seaching around and can't seem to find the answer, and this seem like the closest discussion...

I have the 1909 with a 5.1 home theater and an additional set of speakers in the ceiling of the kitchen which is maybe 15 feet away (Its a small house with an open floor plan). What I would like to be able to do is listen to the same source on all speakers, or just listen in the kitchen, or just in the home theater. Due to the close proximity of the two rooms, there is no reason I would ever try to listen to two different sources so it seems like the Multi-Zone setup doesn't work for me. Is the only way to acheive what I want is to hook up the kitchen speakers into the B set of the front speakers and then use the A/B switch on the unit to toggle the speakers? And if that is the case, is there any way to control the speakers switch with the remote (or a programmable remote)?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

One option may be to use the 1909's bi-amp capability. You would have the same source available in the kitchen as in the living room. One downside would be that unless you got into the menu and disabled the bi-amp feature or disconnected them at the rear of the AVR, the kitchen speakers would always be on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts