AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running the cabling through the HD 5000 modulator just weakens my signal enough so I can't get PBS out of DC. I was wondering if an A/B switch between the modulator and the TV could work or if that would also degrade the signal. Perhaps there is a particular brand of switch that will not cause a loss in signal.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Yes there are different "grades" of A/B antenna switches.

Good ones will rate the signal loss (in dB) on the package

so you can compare.

Those little shiny ones with a black plastic slider bar

that seem to be most common are pretty poor.

Look for a larger black plastic unit with pushbuttons

as a start.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use the $19.99 Radio Shack lo-vhf/hi-vhf/uhf combiner (or splitter.) So the Dish signal goes on channel 4 through lo-vhf, and then this leaves me with hi-vhf for channel 7 (CBS-D here in Vegas) and uhf for future digital stations. Unfortunately, NBC-D is going to be on channel 2, but my pass through seems to work okay anyway.

The alternative is a signal amplifier, which will probably make up for the Dish 5000's reduction of the pass through signal.

You do know that both the Dish 5000 and accessDTV have to be tuned to the same OTA digital station, right? If you use my Girder file mentioned in the thread "accessDTV as slave to Dish 5000" then channel up/down on the Dish 5000 will cause the Dish 5000 to send IR to tune accessDTV to the appropriate channel, keeping them in sync (as long as you always use the Dish 5000 to change channels.)

Add your OTA digital channels to the Dish 5000's channels, and make a favorite list with only your HD channels, and make that list your current list. Then with that Girder file your Dish 5000 channel up/down will cycle between HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and each of your local OTA digital channels. This will work whether you are passing through the signal or doing a bypass with a lo-vhf/hi-vhf/uhf combiner.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Instead of passing your OTA through the modulator, try to combine your OTA and modulator output with a good quality combiner/splitter. You may add a line amp right before the combiner if necessary. This way, you tune your STB to CH4/CH3 for Dishnetwork HDs, and all other OTA DT channels to their corresponding channels. No need to bother with the 5000 for OTA tuning.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I use a combiner that takes my 5000 channel 4 and my UHF antenna (for HD) and outputs the combined signal to my Unity Motion receiver. The UHF antenna goes through an splitter/amplifer and goes other places. I believe Radio Shack has the combiners or you can order one from www.dishdepot.com for $15 or so.

Al Keown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.