AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago, my mother-in-law was buying PC equipment for the library she runs in Florida. She had grant money left over (use it or lose it) and knew she wanted a laptop, but that still wouldn't use all the remaining dollars. I suggested a fully loaded Dell laptop with a DVD drive and an LT-150 projector.

She is happy with the purchases and they have been using the projector/laptop combo to give classes on how to use the library's computers and software. We were down for a visit last week and on Friday, good ol' M-I-L brought the laptop and projector home so I could "take a look at them."

In ten minutes or less I had everything hooked up. Thanks to the contributors on this forum, I knew the correct settings for gamma correction (Natural 1) and white segment (Off). The setup was simple: Dell laptop (900Mhz P3), LT-150, WinDVD, and some el-cheapo PC speakers plugged into the laptop's headphone jack. The image was simply projected on the wall.

I then called everyone into the room, turned out the lights and fired up "Shrek." I thought the picture was amazing, and I was ready for it. Everyone else was simply floored. We were not watching under ideal conditions, and we were definitely missing out in the sound department, but never underestimate the power a beautiful six and a half foot wide image can have. They liked it so much, we had to run out and rent another DVD for the next night ("A Knight's Tale").

BTW, I noticed halo, rainbows, and all other problems mentioned here before except dithering, but I had to conciously look for them and they did not detract from my enjoying the movies.

Best of all, my wife was dead set against EVER buying something like this and has now turned about 170 degrees. The only thing she says now is that I can't buy a NEW one and can't buy it before Christmas.

A special thank you goes to Bob Wood, the Sultan of cheap. After reading about his "drive-in movie" set up, I knew I would be able to very quickly and easily set up a dramatic show that would impress the whole family.

I'm not a much of a contributor to this forum, but I am an avid reader. I am constantly amazed by the depth and breadth of the collective knowledge the members of these forums have. There are a lot of us lurkers out here, absorbing your wisdom, and we thank you for sharing it.

BH

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.